Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72x24x24 180 gallon aqueon glass tank. I have been using 2 separate dual florescent lights but now I'm thinking I would like to upgrade to something a little nicer. It would be ideal if it had a built in timer for on/off settings. I want to go led but I'm not very knowledgeable on what the better brands are when it comes to these. Anyone have any input

·
Registered
73 Posts
The new Fluval Plant 3.0 LED looks amazing, with a great app and full timer support, plus it's well-built with a 3-year warranty and it's waterproof even. However it doesn't come in a 6' so you'd have to do 2 x 3'. I have the 2.0 model of this light and it's been fantastic but it lacks the built-in timer capabilities of the new model. Check out some reviews.

·
2,088 Posts
Krknieriem said:
Thanks for the response but I'm really looking for something to go the full length of my tank.
Not that easy to come by, and shipping on a 6' box can be expensive. The other challenge with a 180 is the 24" front to back depth of the tank, which may require two rows of fixtures. I have not had either light long enough to really comment, but so far I'm happy with the Beamswork fspec I have on one tank, they may be available in a 72" length.

On my 180, I went a different route. I built a lighting fixture using 3 LED spotlights I found at home depot. They are wired with the ceramic fixtures often seen in basements each light fills 1/3 of the tank, and I'm happy with the result. Nothing fancy like you desire, but they are connected to a timer. This approach would not work without a tall hood though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good idea, however I don't have a tall lid. I am more looking foe something that has a lower profile though as I have a mako shark hanging over my tank and I don't want to take away from that

·
Registered
767 Posts
We use a 72" beamswork on our 6' x 22" x 22" tank, nothing fancy but works great. Been using it for about 3 years. If I can find the model I'll let you know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone here run a current USA orbit 72 on their tank, I know it's more a high end saltwater light but it looks like it has some really neat functions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts