Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a 300g acrylic tank from Acrylic Creations, supposed to be here mid August +/-. Tank is 96L x 30W x 24H with dual overflows at the ends. I'm going to use one of the Rubbermaid 100g stock tanks for the sump. Needing some suggestions for return pumps, budget is around $200 a piece for both. If its absolutely worth going $100 more, I can potentially swing $300 a piece but It needs to be justified lol.

After some researching formulas and stuff to come up with GPH needed, looks I need around 1600ish gph for 4x turn over at 400g(300g tank + 100g sump). Not sure since im running dual pumps if both need to be rated around 1600 or just need the pumps to be able to achieve that combined. Also not sure how head loss will factor in but heres a diagram I mocked up in paint and took a guess at pipe lengths(ignore it says 150g on the stock tank lol).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I run Ecotech Vectra pumps, which have the adjustable flow rate feature which is useful if you need to slow the speed so as not to exceed the capacity of your over flows. The Vectra M2 is rated at 1400gph and is priced ~$300.

Regarding the tank volume turnover, I read it's recommeded 8x-10x, but I get close to 7x with the Vectra L1 and Fluval FX6 in my 450gal + 100gal sump setup.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Really cool idea on the sump. I've never seen that.

I looked at Ecotech Vectra, but for the price, the only compelling argument I could find for them was that they had an available battery backup. Oh, I guess seamless integration into a reef controller so you can keep all your corals happy, make gyres, all that kind of fun stuff that really matters in a cichlid.... wait....

I put 2 Simplicity DC3200 pumps in my 410 with 100 gallon sump. I think that you should put 2 Simplicity DC2100s. Here's why:

I'm guessing that you're actually lifting water about 6 feet, because you're going to lift it from the bottom of the sump to the top of the aquarium.
Head loss chart on this pump says that you'll be pushing just under 1000 GPH at 7.5 feet. I know this is extra feet, but it's estimation to account for the slow down of the water moving through your pipes. Head loss chart here:

https://www.simplicityaquatics.com/...timate-the-head-pressure-on-your-return-pump/ - Not trying to post to vendor. Mods please remove if this is not OK.
The pumps can be turned down to match the flow you need. In fact, I don't run mine on full blast - I run them at 80% and they are both quieter.

If the battery backup intrigues you, you can find my design for one that works with simplicity pumps here:
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=454599

As you can tell, I also am well versed in the use of MS Paint :D

Total cost for two simplicity DC2100 pumps - $240 delivered. For Both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts