Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a 40gallon tank set up with some (what I was told) African cichlids. The previous owner passed and his wife knew nothing about them. I'm new to the hobby, so I want to get more info. I believe these to be Malawi cichlids, but want to ask if anyone can identify them. I have questions about feedings, how many times a day, what's best diet for them ect. I've read up some, but keep finding conflicting answers, so I hope y'all can help.

My tank was already cycled, running penguin bio wheel, and I've done testing which shows water to be in parameters needed for African cichlids as well as about 82° temperature. I'm getting ready to do 25% water change & add substrate in a few days which, I've chose aragonite. These are currently in a quarantine tank, as when I got them, the cats in the tank had ich (they died) and I've been treating tank for about 6days. Do I toss my bio wheels since ich was in their tank, or will treating with herbtana mean I can preserve bio wheels? I did remove filters with AC while treating. Also not sure if I should completely empty tank and clean thoroughly, including the rocks and live plants to insure no ich is left.

I'm not sure what age mine are either, most are about 2" from mouth to tail, but I have one that's larger, maybe 3" or so. Also I don't know the gender of them. Mainly wanting info on identifying & feedings, tank set up/cleaning following ich currently. Thanks
Water Underwater Fin Fluid Organism

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Will move to Unidentified for ID. Feed 1X daily as much as they can eat in 30 seconds and no more. A good staple food is New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets. You will likely have to order it online.

What are the dimensions of your 40G...some of them are on the small side for Malawi.

Post the test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
75 Posts
Good on you for wanting to learn, and taking on the fish. cichlid are cool! good for learning a lot if you "really" want to understand how complex but rewarding this hobby can be! :p

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Seem like a Metriaclima "Zebra" type, not sure what but they look consistent. Two males at the top getting markings. You have to wait and see what they look like.

You don't need to try to "sterilize" the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts