Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I tested my water found out my nitrates were high, did a 50 percent water change as well as a 20 percent the day before. Came home today and have noticed most my fish flashing. I did see this the odd time before but didn't deem it serious. Now can this still be the effect of the water change? I'm going to treat for ich just in case. I'm slowly raising the temp. It's usually at 78 - 80 degrees, I will bring it up to 85. I have 4 hob filters with agitation and a power head providing oxygen so that should be fine. I moved my fish from a 55 to a 90 about 6-7 weeks ago. Didn't cycle but used my old tank water and cycled filters so essentially just s new glass home. I should mention I had new additions to the tank. As well as found a big stringy white poop. There's a white spot on my juvi acei, not sure if it's just from scratching. I have African cichlids a few convicts, 2 pictus and s pleco. Going to test my water right now will add

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a thought from a newbie, but dechlorinator? I've read that forgetting to add or not adding enough may cause fish to have bad reactions. Could you have mis-measured?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Likely due to the water change. Flashing is thought to be caused by, among other things, changes in water hardness. Smaller more frequent water changes usually work better than seldom performed large (>50%) changes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly but I tried to add a little extra for good measure. I don't believe it has a stress coat it's nutrafin African cichlid conditioner. As well as nutrafin chlorXchange. The spot on my acei looks more like a scratch to me from flashing. Not necessarily ich. Doesn't explain the super long white poop I found. They're all eating. However some are hanging near the top often but some just regularly do that

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that's what I was hoping. In an effort to lower my nitrates I did a few water changes plus a large one within a few days I figured it may have an affect to the fish good or bad. Still keeping an eye on it. I think I went too light with the chlor x it was the conditioner I added a little extra to. So I added a couple drops of the chlorx to try and help. I realize one of my haps had been stressed and sick from the move but had recouped. Looked a little bloated to me a few days ago but not so much now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts