Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marble bristlenose pleco is an expensive mbuna snack. No signs of him after removing all plants and rocks yesterday. We also discovered that they don't work in a community tank of tiger barbs either.

A fish you swear is a male could indeed be a female. I removed one of my equally dominant male cyn. lions from the tank and the 3rd "male" I thought I had was holding eggs within a few days. She is larger than my dominant male, vibrant coloration, flares, and locks jaws just like the big boys. She also produced 15 eggs in her first try.

Nothing squeezes your tank inhabitants into a corner like 2 equally dominant and aggressive male fish attempting to spawn. The two male cyn. lions could probably exist together but it doesn't make for a good show tank with 20+ fish squeezed into 15 gallons of water.

If you purchase a group of 7 juvenile fish and 4 of them die within a couple months and then you buy 7 more to start over you WILL induce spawning of the original 3. I now have 14 elongatus boadzulu tumbling away with eyes and tails and 7 1" (rather redundant) juvies in a grow out tank.

Speaking of tumbling... the 12" uplift tube kits coupled with some window screen make for excellent diy tumblers. Just cut the 12" tube into two pieces. One about 3-4" long for the bottom portion. You then need to drill out the top hole in the top elbow to fit your air tube in. $3.49 per tumbler sure beats the going rate of about $20 for pre made ones. It also saves you hours in the aisles of hardware stores searching for parts that fit.

Finally, people on craigslist can be interesting.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So nature loves irony. I came home from picking up dinner to find one of my fish squeezed in the bottom section of my tumbler tube. I knew fish would suck eggs through the mesh but I thought my tube was narrow enough to discourage them.

Total damage before modifying my tumbers: all 14 Elongatus Boadzulu became snacks, 7 Cyn. Lions became snacks, and 2 Rusties.

So hey, buying those 7 Elongatus Boadzulu replacement is looking like a good decision again :thumb:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Wow, that kinda sucks. If it's any consolation, lots of people have lost fry from diy tumblers, myself included. :roll:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing more mesh and some rubber bands can't fix :thumb:

The culprit is inspecting my modified design for any weakness right now as I type :lol:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure we all would find a way to indulge if we were in a small room and there was a ton of our favorite snack bouncing up and down in front of our face all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts