Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the reason is - you produce tasty, tasty plant food!

My other half simply wouldn't believe that my fishtank water is any good for anything, so we set up a little experiment. We seeded our rose bed (namaqualand daisies), and I watered one half with my water change water, and he watered the other half with tap water, using similar sized buckets, at the same time, with the same amount.

Drum roll please:

Three guesses which side is my side :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
lol...

mind telling the first 118 reasons ;-)

·
Registered
705 Posts
hahaha funny stuff. here i thought i was the only one using tank water for plants. i use my discus water on my blueberrys a cpl times a week. works great :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow, if this info leaks out, many more people will want to own fish tanks- just for the water quality alone! Good science experiment Nina! :thumb:

·
Registered
705 Posts
its funny that you did this experiment. *** been using tank water for my veggies for a few years now. (depends on the ph i keep the fish at of course) but its also interesting as to how little ppl think about recycling like this.. my local garden store had a big ole fish tank with all sorts of monsters.. i asked if they use the water for their plants and he just said that hed never thought about it. so hopefully we can get the word out!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have been doing this for years. My mother (Asian) and all her sisters are really good with plants. My aunt would do the weirdest things to plants but the worked. The tank water was one of them. She would also put her cigarettes out in them and bury the butts. I know weird but her plants were always healthy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was pretty spiffy. I knew it made a difference, but whoah, what a difference. Suddenly, it's alright that I want a really, really large tank one day (we're both students - so budget is a little bit unwilling to cooperate right now). :lol: :dancing: :fish: :dancing: :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great idea... perhaps I should start selling my water change waste water for 10 cents a gallon to local gardeners :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts