Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took everything out, bought some more pieces of driftwood, added an AC70.. Water is still cloudy from moving the sand around. I'm also still waiting on my Eheim Universal kit to get here so I can finally get rid of that Ugly green. It sticks out like a sore thumb against a black background.

What do you guys think?

I'm also back to starting to think this tank needs some plants in it.. maybe some java ferns on the driftwood..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a 2 bulb T5 Aquaticlife with 10k (i think its 10k) and actinic

I am really considering getting a 4 bulb larger one with built in moonlighting.. I have some deadspots in the tank because its so wide the 2 bulb almost doesn't cover enough eventhough in the pictures it does look pretty bright :lol:

Plus the water is still cloudy , so once its crystal clear maybe ill be ok :thumb:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good set-up but IMO there are too few rocks...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newforestrob said:
looks good,add plants if you want,but I think once you have some algae it will satisfy your wanting greenery
Good point, but for some reason algae does not seem to grow in my tank. I had my other tank up for almost a year and honestly i had little to no algae.. a small amount on the rocks but that's about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:thumb: Looks fantastic, very nice woodwork. I also think the plants will only enhance this further. Great job!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Guys, I am going to pickup some plants today.. Here is what im thinking

Java Fern or just Java Moss

Amazon Sword

Short Anubias so i can drill it into the wood and let it grow.

·
Banned
406 Posts
I dont think you need any plants at all, it looks great the way it is. Nice job...it'll look even better once you get the universal Eheim smoked intake / spraybar. 8)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i went ahead and bought a ton of different plants. Im going to putting them in shortly and will repost to see what you guys think.. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased the rocks at a local landscape store.. They are River Rocks, It only cost me $40 for about 120 pounds of rock.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so as promised, i went a little overboard and I know it's not as "natural" a habitat in Malawi but I really think it turned out great and they seem to love it.. I'm going to run with this for awhile.

Since I can't edit my original post here is the before and after to compare it to.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with others some live plants would add to the look. The only thing is with that type of lighting it's too bright for anubias or anything. You'd get Black Brush algae on the plants. If you wanted to add plants I would block some of the light by adding floating plants like duckweed or frogbit. I had the same size tank with the same type of light.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't end up going with Any anubias this time.. I went with two types of swords and the real bushy stuff i forget what it was called.. We'll see how it works with the cichlids as they were out of java moss.

here are some better pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.