Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 106 gal. tank stocked with 6 geophagus Altifrons, 2 angels (temp.) a L190 pleco and some royal tetras. In not so far away future i intend to keep only one pair of altifrons and add some small cichlids like rams.
But right now i have some big problems with my altifrons. These guys are really skittish when i come in to my room. Sometimes they panic and the results are bruises and some other bad stuff.

I am feeding them five times a day with small amounts. They got better and usualy swim unscared, until i walk around my room.
My tank looks like this right now.

So what can i do to make them not so scared? Should i put more wood in the middle area?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi
More wood in that tank is a definite good idea. They'll probably always spook but with more structure to hide behind there'll be less of a crazy dash to get half way along the tank.
I had trouble getting my young Geos to come out at all when I was in the room and they have loads of hiding places, but I started starving them so they had to come out. I'd do this every 4 days or so, for a day or a day and a half, then theyd start to come out in search for food. After a few weeks of this they started to venture out more often. Now I approach the tank and they're up their at the glass wanting food. Different fish altogether.
They still scare but it's not bad and they come straight out of hiding immediately.

Best of luck, great fish and I look forward to seeing that lovely tank with more wood :)

What's it's dimensions?

Gavin

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. I'll give it a shoot with more wood. But they will lose the swiming space?
They will probably outgrow this tank in about half a year. Cause it's dimensions are 200cm lenght, 40cm widith and 50cm height. So i'll have to either buy a new aquarium or buy smaller cichlids :?

They aren't afraid like yours are, but they kind of get panic moments few times a day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi
Well I have a feeling you'll see them swimming about more and enjoying it with more obstacles.
I have a pair of Tapajos redheads in a tightly packed 3ft. It's amazing to see the speed they chase eachother around without hitting anything. I love to create obstacle courses in my tanks. I look at sparsely dressed tanks and I often really like them, but I just can't stop myself when designing my own. I have an unstoppable bogwood fetish :)

Do you have any close up shots of the fish?

It's a shame about the width of your tank at 40cm. The length is great, and height fine. Do you have space for a wider tank where this one sits?

Cheers

Gavin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts