Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister found a fish skull on a beach in Florida several years ago. I was at her house yesterday and realized what a cool aquarium decoration it would make. What do you think? Anybody got any idea what kind of fish it's from? It's around 8 inches long.

-Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll work on a better pic. It's hard to pick up the details because it's all white. It's definitely a skull because on the back of it you can see where the backbone is no longer attached. You can also see where the two nostril holes lead from the front to the inside. It's really fun to look at but now it's submerged.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I have absolutely no clue what it could be the skull of. I wouldn't assume it's a fish just because it washed to shore from the ocean though, although I'm also not saying it isn't a fish......

Bone will have a buffering capacity similar to coral although I have no clue to what degree it will buffer your water. i would assume that would very from skull to skull, bone to bone. Just monitor your water hardness and PH for the first couple weeks you have it in the tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
cugar said:
It looks more like a birds scull to me :-?
That's what I was thinking. The part that's in the sand looks like a beak to me. To be more specific, it looks like the skull from a raptor of some sort. That hooked bill sure looks like something you see on hawks, eagles and falcons.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sierra255 said:
cugar said:
It looks more like a birds scull to me :-?
That's what I was thinking. The part that's in the sand looks like a beak to me. To be more specific, it looks like the skull from a raptor of some sort. That hooked bill sure looks like something you see on hawks, eagles and falcons.
Thats what I was thinking, Eagle, Hawk, Falcon.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It looks like a small horse skull missing the outer cranial bone. :-?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After reading all of these replies I'm really curious. I've done some searching on the 'net for skull identification and it's unlike anything I can find. I might get curious enough to remove it from my talk and take it down to a museum to see if they might know.

-Mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
OneFishTwoFish said:
I might get curious enough to remove it from my talk and take it down to a museum to see if they might know.

-Mike
Excelent idea..... :thumb: I'd be curious to know. Let us know what they say if (when :D ) you take it in

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very curious!!!! That just looks somehow weird. Does it seem intact, except for the jaw?? It appears the eye socket extends to the interior and look how low the eye is in relation to the jaw. Really strange.

Course my vertebrate anatomy was a loooong time ago, it might be identified instantly by any knowledgable amatuer. lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep joking with my son Connor (9 years old) that maybe its... ALIEN!

-Mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
rockincichlid said:
OK i change my vote alien anyone else? :lol:
eL Chupy said:
:-? I think we need to call Scully and Mulder and have the X-files team take a look at this one.
maybe I'm the only closet Sci-Fi Channel geek in here :?: :lol: ... or... this is down close to the Chupacabra Territory... maybe we have one of those :lol:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
eL Chupy said:
maybe I'm the only closet Sci-Fi Channel geek in here :?: :lol: ... or... this is down close to the Chupacabra Territory... maybe we have one of those :lol:
Naa.. goat suckers are much smaller. :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks more like a little dinosaur :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts