Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to stock my 125gal would like to have 4-5 different species in this tank. Here's what im thinking, please tell me what you think.

-Metriaclima pyrsonotos (Red top zebra)
-Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty)
-Pseudotropheus socolofi
-Cynotilapia afra (cobue)

and then maybe throw in some yellow labs also.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the cobue not coloring up, I hear they like to be dominant.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I see trouble between the RT zebra male and afra male. I also see trouble obtaining those particular RT zebras, since I've never once seen them for sale anywhere, online or otherwise. If those RTs are like other RTs, the females will be a drab brownish color, just like your rusty females, which could become problematic, too. Because of those two issues, I'd probably drop the RTs and get something else with a touch of red instead. Maybe pseudotropheus perspicax? I know one of this site's sponsors carries them.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
True, two blue-barred species. Missed that. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for your thoughts guys much appreciated. I wonder though that the RT zebra male and the afra cobue male really do not resemble eachother that closely. Yes the cobue has some blue but can be more purple and the yellow top vs. that of the blue body black striped orange fins of the RT. Yes they each have bars, but do the bars automatically mean trouble or a fit of dominance?
And yes "die" I should have been more exact on the RT species just used pyrsonotos as an example. I have bought metriaclima emmiltos in the past which is also commonly called RT zebra. You are right I do not know if all RT females species color the same or not. My emmiltos females I had were more of a darker grey blue color not a brown. Not saying its right or wrong its the only *** seen. And I never have much luck looking on line when I search for RT female pictures to get a better idea.
The biggest issue is that I dont want any crossbreeding. So guess I could role the dice buy all juvies and if the RT female to closely resemble the rustys then deal with it then.......
Well maybe someone with these species will still post some of their insights on the matter.
Again thanks for your thoughts though!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
roofeo24 said:
Yes they each have bars, but do the bars automatically mean trouble or a fit of dominance?
Pretty much. Also the cobue have a rep for having trouble coloring up in a tank with a more aggressive fish like a Metriaclima anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts