Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Cichlid setup from someone on Craigslist. It is a 75g tank and along with it I got the sand substrate, decorative rocks, and the SunSun 304b filter that had been running on the tank. I then purchased 40lbs of Aragonite and took out about 25lbs of the prexisting sand and mixed the Aragonite with the remainder. I purchased a second (new) SunSun 304b and set that up 3 days ago to start running in the tank. I have been adding Seachem Stability as per directions daily and am not sure if this is enough prepwork to be ready to start stocking the tank. Do you guys have any advice? I am looking to get started stocking on Sunday when the Cichlid club in my area is having a meetup but I don't want to put fish into a tank that isn't ready for them! Let me know thoughts or anything that I can do to get ready by then.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to C-F

How long was the purchased filter left not running?
Do you have a quality water test kit?

I have no experience with Stability. If it were me, I'd try to get some established media from someone or do a fishless cycle using ammonia.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Iggy Newcastle said:
I have no experience with Stability. If it were me, I'd try to get some established media from someone or do a fishless cycle using ammonia.
Plus one. Plan on six weeks until the cycle is complete.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Plus two. The bare minimum you need to do is a quick test with an ammonia dose to see if your tank can process it. Read up on the post regarding Fishless Cycling to learn how. Within 48 hours you'll know if you're ready for fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.