Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I have had this fh for three months and It has grown like a weed. When I fist got it it was a mistake. I purchased 4 jds , I picked out the first 3 and told the lfs clerk to add another while I got some food. Needless to say when I got home the 4th fish was not a jd. That's how I acquired the fh. The rd was purchased by the gf and housed in her 55 and was really aggressive towards here other cichlids( she was told about this but ignored it). Any ways 3 months later the rd and fh became bullies so we ended up housing them together yesterday in the fh tank. Well now the two have been inseparable and begun digging and vibrating. I know this is not going to work out long term whatsoever but I figure I would post to get some insight from everyone else. I already have 15 tanks up and running but not one big enough to house the two together. The rest of the tanks are stocked with other fish that the two would kill alone or together. Anyways I have heard that fh are not able to reproduce is this true? Anyways here is a short video of the two.
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... EO0092.mp4

·
Registered
532 Posts
Flippercon said:
Ok well I have had this fh for three months and It has grown like a weed. When I fist got it it was a mistake. I purchased 4 jds , I picked out the first 3 and told the lfs clerk to add another while I got some food. Needless to say when I got home the 4th fish was not a jd. That's how I acquired the fh. The rd was purchased by the gf and housed in her 55 and was really aggressive towards here other cichlids( she was told about this but ignored it). Any ways 3 months later the rd and fh became bullies so we ended up housing them together yesterday in the fh tank. Well now the two have been inseparable and begun digging and vibrating. I know this is not going to work out long term whatsoever but I figure I would post to get some insight from everyone else. I already have 15 tanks up and running but not one big enough to house the two together. The rest of the tanks are stocked with other fish that the two would kill alone or together. Anyways I have heard that fh are not able to reproduce is this true? Anyways here is a short video of the two.
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... EO0092.mp4
You should know never to trust the workers at the LFS. But mixing a flowerhorn up with a Jack is pretty bad. But I'm kinda shocked you didn't return him when you got home and found out. It's weird how alot of girls totally disregard any aquarium advice you offer. A friend of mine failed to heed my warnings and placed an auratus african in her 55 community set-up. She had a few giant danios, a jack, and a large oscar. She told me the next day at work that within minutes, the new arrival auratus killed every single fish except the oscar, probably because he was so big, but he was just hunkering down in the corner of the tank!

Red Devils always remind me of goldfish, I don't know why, I suppose its a quirk. I have no idea about flowerhorns reproducing. Alls I know is that Flowerhorns are a hybrid themselves, right? Anywho, I can't wait to see the fry those 2 produce? You should put some horney goat weed in their fish food. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I kept the fh because I wanted one and I didn't know what it was when purchased. I posted a pic up in the unidentified section and got I positively identified. I then thought well I got it for $2 so why not. It was probably the best decision I made on keeping a fish. He is by far the most personable fish I have ever owned and second would be the rd. Needless to say I would love to purchase a bigger tank for the two but I already have 15 tanks in a 600 square foot apartment. I know its crazy but this is what happens when fish fever hits two people at once during tax return season. We plan on moving in November to a two bedroom and making the second bedroom a fish room and keeping the bedroom and living room with tanks too. I really just need to buy a house and do it up right. 8) its pretty bad when you have to unplug fish tanks to run the microwave. :lol:

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Devil/flowerhorn mixes are very common.

And I resent the comment about "a lot of girls disregard aquarium advise". I'm pretty sure it's not just my gender. A lot of PEOPLE disregard aquarium advise :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
FH can breed & have been bred so often that most fry are fertile.
Your FH resembles a Trimac, & they're basically cousins of RD/Midas.

This would be a nice Hybrid if they do "hook up".
Keep us posted. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SinisterKisses said:
Devil/flowerhorn mixes are very common.

And I resent the comment about "a lot of girls disregard aquarium advise". I'm pretty sure it's not just my gender. A lot of PEOPLE disregard aquarium advise :p
I know I forgot to say something. My gf goes by her own book. I mean it is her tank. I do have a few buddies that are pretty hard headed when I try to give them advice about there tanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leucistic Guy said:
FH can breed & have been bred so often that most fry are fertile.
Your FH resembles a Trimac, & they're basically cousins of RD/Midas.

This would be a nice Hybrid if they do "hook up".
Keep us posted. :popcorn:
Thanks for clearing that up. I am interested in seeing what the spawn would grow out to look like. In either case I'm pretty sure they will be a real social fish.

·
Registered
532 Posts
SinisterKisses said:
Yes, I apologize. I probably should've said "unsuspecting fishkeepers or novice fishkeepers." Come to think of it, there's a guy at my job who has 1 jewel, 1 yellow lab, and 1 socolfi in a 10 gallon. I keep telling him there's going to be aggression because the tank is so small, but he just brushes it off. So it's not just women.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Elijah said:
SinisterKisses said:
Yes, I apologize. I probably should've said "unsuspecting fishkeepers or novice fishkeepers." Come to think of it, there's a guy at my job who has 1 jewel, 1 yellow lab, and 1 socolfi in a 10 gallon. I keep telling him there's going to be aggression because the tank is so small, but he just brushes it off. So it's not just women.
Actually I leaned a lot from SK in my "noob to cichlid" days.
She has/had some monsters, none of us could handle. :D
Hows the Midas from Kole doing SK?
I wanted that fish really bad, but knew he'd be better off with you.
Baxter must be huge now.
(I've been away from the fish forums for a while)

There's plenty of guys who act like that here. :p
I remember a guy who kept going against the suggestion of others even though he was asking for our help.
He decided what the LPS worker told him was "golden". :roll:
Overstocked(really overstocked) & mixing CA/SA cichlid with Africans...
(something along those lines)
Wonder if he's still around, or if he died of "foot in mouth" or Hole in the Head/HITH disease. :lol:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SK actually is the one who identified this fh.
Anyways the Rd is laying her eggs but after a few are layed she just eats them. Hmmmm never had a female do that. Oh well it wasn't planned just thought it was interesting seeing the two pair and get along. I did get them both sexed so it is not a complete loss.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Lol yeah...I know a few things ;) The midas (Craven) is doing great, about 10" now and one aggressive little monster. Baxter has gotten pretty big, she's about 12" now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Flippercon said:
Anyways the Rd is laying her eggs but after a few are layed she just eats them. Hmmmm never had a female do that. Oh well it wasn't planned just thought it was interesting seeing the two pair and get along. I did get them both sexed so it is not a complete loss.
Sometimes it takes a pair a few times before they get it right.
You're lucky they get along. :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leucistic Guy said:
Flippercon said:
Sometimes it takes a pair a few times before they get it right.
You're lucky they get along. :D
For now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well little update on the pair. I ended up taking all the rocks and half the substrate out. I left one 5" t of pvc. The rd finally layed her eggs and all looks good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
congrats!! would love to see how the fry turn out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts