Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this:

A disease which presents a bit like Hexamita (Hole in the head) in that it seems to infect the sensory its in the head at times.

White fungus-ish, cotton like (very small cotton spots, hard to photograph even.) scabs develop over even smaller legions (I am assuming "legions" because I have examined the cottony white stuff and, to my surprise it wiped right off with the net or finger. Only one or two of these cotton spots present at any given time. They are basically the only reason you would think anything is wrong with the fish.

Sometimes the "white legion/s" (There is usually only one at a time) appear through the back, mid-dorsal, where the fin joins the back and looks a bit like anchor worm but, again, can very easily be wiped away. When it does happen in the back there is a much more noticeable wound with redness associated with it... It also, most often appears to go completely through the fish.

It comes and gos and I would say the fish shows these symptoms, off and on, about 70% on and 30% off ("Off" means no white spots although if you look close you can barely see that there is some abnormality I think in the last effected area.)

Here's where it gets weird:
-It disappears. It mostly presents on or around the nostril and only occasionally on the back as I described.
-The fish eats and breeds normally while symptoms present. Never even flashes or jerks around or any other normal sickly behaviors.

-He is male, an Altolamprogus Calvus is 7 about years old (I have had him 5 years and was a 3 inch adult "wild caught" when I got him so I assume about 7-8 yrs.) and, while he is smaller than he should be at 7 (He is barely 4" should be 5-6 inches but he could just be small, although I have fry from him which are bigger than he!)

-He has presented these symptoms for the last 2 years without any escalation in severity (Although the back legion presentation didn't start until about 6 months after the first nose cotton.)

- he lives in an isolated community (My "Spare" fish and weird hybrid tank, I call it the "Freak" Tank :D ) setup which is cleaned regularly (weekly) fed normally etc. He has 2 females of his own species which he breeds with regularly and is quite fruitful (Although I never keep the fry because I have better stock than he that I keep fry from)

-None of the other fish EVER show symptoms! I don't get it. I've posted pics before but they'll honestly tell you nothing. The first 6 month he had it I subjected him to a 10 gal. hospital tank and every treatment available including: Tetracycline, copper, salt, Praziquantel ("Prazi-pro" and API's "General Cure", which is Metronidazole and praziquantel"), metronidazole, erythromyacin (can't remember what form I got that? might try that one again?), Ampicillin (Gel-food), direct application of erythromyacin ("aqua bandage" type), cure-ich (Malachite green and formalin administered as a dip and a bath)... That's all I can remember off hand.

ANyway just curious. I should have put myself out of my own misery long ago and culled him or just accepted it but I'm dying to know what the heck it is. It's the only reason I keep him. I have spent much more money trying to cure him than his initial cost (he was $70).

He is gorgeous (More blue than I have ever seen in this species and I have 8 tanks focussing on different variants of this species) so it would be cool if I could get him cured. But mostly I'm just dying of curiousity.

Even this post is "a shot in the dark" and a repetitive one at that but one i gotta take :D
TIA regardless :thumb:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Pimples.... Never did find out what these things really were but I had a fish with that same exact issue. I nicknamed them pimples though I think they are really more like canker sores. The open wound is the dangerous part since other illnesses can hit the fish through these wounds. Keep the water meticulously clean. Medicated food seemed to battle this into remission.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just nice to finally see that someone has had the same issue. I have been feeding Nls laced with Metro and he does seem to be showing improvement (Fingers crossed). It behaves like a recurring virus but that doesn't explain why it responds to medicated food? Weird. :roll:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Since the metro never cured it, I figured it likely was a virus and the food simply helped the fishes overall health.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts