Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for a little while but i also have a 30 gallon planted community tank with:
5 Buenos Ares tetras
a few cardinal and neon tetras
2 large but very docile powder blue gouramis
1 pleco
2 cory cats

I was wanting to add some new fish to the mix with a little more colour. I saw some Rams at the LFS and was wondering if they would be ok in this tank. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The Buenos aries tetras can be a bit nippy, from what I've been told, but I have several in with my Bolivian rams, and I've never had any problems out of them.

I'm wondering how the gouramis might react to new additions to the tank???

I take it you aren't interested in breeding, with this being a community tank.

What is your ph on this one?

And, what are the dimensions on the tank?

Kim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, i'm not interested in breeding.

the tank is 30inx18in by 12in deep

ph is 6.4

If i can get some, how many?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go with the Bolivian Rams Man! There simply wonderful fish and I love'm! :thumb:

They add a lot to any Community tank...trust me.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
DirtyBlackSocks said:
I'd start with 6 with the intentions of thinning them out if aggression problems arise.
I agree!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One fish i forgot to list was i have one random fancy guppie. will the rams bother it do you think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would however, keep an eye on the gourami. I have heard they can get a little nippy towards other species. Just watch for any aggression because nobody likes to see a beat up ram. :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i have heard that but in genral the two gouramis that i do have are VERY calm, shy and docile. i couldn't see them really bothering the rams

1 - 14 of 14 Posts