Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would some Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ok in a tank with Jurupari, and Altifrons? I recently saw some of these guys at a fish store and loved them. Everything *** read says they are peacefull, so I was sure they would be fine, but I want ya'lls opinion.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi howmany,

I have kept both rams and Altifrons. I kept them together when the Geos where young and they were fine. However, based on the temperament of my adult Geo, I would not put a Ram in with him. He constantly fights with a pictus (mainly over food and territory) and makes attacks on the skirt tetras. The tetras do ok as they are high bodied and hang out in the upper part of the tank. My Geo has eaten, killed, or forced jumping of full grown sword tails, mollies, skirt tetras and a roseline.

As Rams would attempt to occupy the same portion of the tank as Geos and would be considered bite size for a full grown geo, I would not try these two together.

However, perhaps others have had success keeping these two together; perhaps in a large tank with small caves for the rams. My Geo (unfortunately) does not live with other Geos and perhaps this is attributable to his semi-aggressive temperament.

Bolivian Rams grow a bit bigger than Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and may have better success if full grown; but I still would not try it.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi are a small growing cichlid and you could keep them in a relatively small tank (20 gallons). Maybe you could find a spot in your house for a small tank with rams and tetras.

Just my experience/ opinion. I do like the colors of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts