Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some rams in the lfs over the weekend. They were labeled as blue rams but 1 looked like it may have been a Bolivian (I know nothing about them so who knows, could have been female I guess). Anyway, i really liked the way they looked and interacted. I have a 36G bowfront with nothing but a rubberlip pleco in it right now. I wiould like to set this tank up for some Rams but I know nothing about them and have learned only a little bit through my searches here.

What I would like to know is how many could i put in this tank? From what I've found, it seems that Bolivians are the better choice for larger groups. Is this true?

Any help would be appreciated. :fish:

·
Registered
697 Posts
What is the tanks footprint? Bolivians are a better choice for groups. Blue rams need warmer temps which makes it difficult to add other tankmates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
personally *** kept elctric blue rams german blue rams and bolivians currently keeping gold rams blue rams are a lovely fish to keep they interact well and will group as long as you keep about 6 or 8 roughly in a 38g you should have plenty of space for them just add some tough wearing heavy planted sections java moss java fern windelov plant ect and some smooth stones in the tank footprint is still a factor you should ocnsider though try to get smaller ones if you can s these are usually younger will live longer and more likely spawn with the group of rams in your tank you will find in a group they are less shy and will beocme personable try to keep the ph down too i keep my ph to 6.9 at maximum and the softer the water the better blue rams are an absolute joy to keep and i hope they bring as much happiness to your tank as they do mine

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
the 36 bow is a 30" tank, I'm currently keeping 5 bolivians in a group (3m/2f currently - thought it was 3-2 the other way around) and they're very happy and interact as a group but also have their own "turf". I think you could do it, but you have to have lots of line-of-sight breaks and distinct territories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts