Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ramphs have begun breeding but the females are swallowing eggs. Any suggestions on why this is happening (they are young) and how to reduce this. I do have a bubbler and thought about stripping them, but they fiercely snap at the top of the water when I feed them, and I don't now how safe it is t strip them. Can you strip them and are there safety precautions I should take? Are they usually a strip and bubble type breed or will they hold their eggs once they get older and I solve any possible problems. I also thoughf of removing the female to keep her from getting chased while holding, though he isn't chasing her too much, actually very little. It seems she swallows them during feeding, she wants to eat.

Any ideas? I feed flake so I don't see why sh would have to swallow them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My rampho's are not mature enough to breed but if they behave like some of the other malawi predators I keep it sometimes takes 3 to 9 months after their first spawns before they start to hold full term. It took my Dimidiochromis dimidiatus females about 9 month before they would hold for more than 1 day. Sometimes if I see a female holding and I really want the fry from that particular species I will not feed that tank for a couple days to let the female get used to the eggs in her mouth as I agree they will usually spit or swallow at feeding time. How big are your rampho's now ?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
She may be swallowing the eggs because they aren't fertilized, or she may just be too inexperienced to hold full term.

I'd give her a bit to get it right.

Kim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are just over 6 inches but sort of stout. The male is just developing his yellow/orange anal fin. Thanks to you both, it sounds like it will take some time for the females (I've had three that have swallowed eggs) and I will try not feeding the tank. I think maybe trying to move her into antother tank while she is holing might help keep the male from chasing her. I watched them spawn, but because of their shape, the male doesn't shimmy so good. Any thoughts on stripping her and bubbling eggs next time? what about teeth when doing it? Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It sounds like you definitely need to cut back on their food.

I've never tumbled eggs, so hopefully someone else will chime in on that one and help you out.

If at all possible, you'd be better off to let her do it naturally.

Kim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kim. I just don't want to get bit and cut myself and drop the fish and all. On the bubbling, I've done it before and learned you need to just buy the bubbler, unless you are really mechanically gifted because the fish come out pretty weird if the eggs don't get bubbled right.

On the food part, they look pretty much like the photos on the site, but the females are stout, the male is also about as fat as the females when they are gravid, so he could lose some weight. He just looks funny shimmying. I switched from pellet to flake so that ought to help them lose since they were scooping up alot of pellets, with the flake they have to work harder. They were eating whole mouthfuls of pellets in like a single bite, snatching them from the top of the water.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I can't guarantee you won't get bit or cut! I've never stripped a fish that size, but I understand your concern. Maybe someone will post that has some experience!

Kim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kim, they are getting kind of scary the way they snatch food from the top, you have to be careful you don't put your fingers in the water! BTW, my red zebra's are the only fish that still haven't bred. I must not have a big enough male or something. I tried to vent them and it looked like I had two big males and the rest females, but all they care about is eating. Maybe they are still too small. I've tried changed rock style, flat rock vs. lace with caves. I've tried changing ph and water, which they are happy with. I just don't care anymore! Maybe when they get huge they will breed. Maybe I have all females. I may start searching for a large boisterous male.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Be careful what you ask for! That large boisterous male zebra may rip your world apart!

How big are your zebras now?

Kim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Scared of getting bit--- I'm looking forward to when mine get bigger. If I can I will talk to the person i got my Rampho's from and ask him what he does as he is breeding 2 species

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kim, my red zebras finally bred. I have one female holding. Apparently the large well egg spottend fish I though were males are females and the male is still to small to be appealing to them. Did breed with a smaller female.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts