Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my 125 I pre-fill a 30 gallon container with tap water add prime and a heater two days before my water change so I can get the water exactly the same temp as my tank. My tank has a ph of 8.4 and the ph of the water in the container is 7.4. Is it okay to add in baking soda or should I buy off the shelf from LFS?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You appear to be doing extra work for no reason. No need to let water sit if using Prime. Your w/c is basically a 25%, so incoming water wont really affect the tank to a harmful degree. You don't have to match temps exactly. A degree, two, three either way wont bother fish. With a w/c device like the Python, you can add water directly from the tap. The steps are, drain, add conditioner, refill. No need to try to alter Ph. I will assume you have some sort of buffer in the tank? Aragonite sand, crushed coral? The tank will settle to its 8.4 without issue. My tap water is high 6's Ph, my Mbuna tanks were 8.2 with buffer. I did 50% w/c twice weekly for years no problems.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
My question would also be how is your tap 7.4 and your tank 8.4 and you add no chemicals?

What is your pH from the tap after a cup sits on the counter for 24 hours?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts