Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a perplexing situation. I have two tanks dedicated to raising Daphnia for my Brichardi; a 5 gallon and a 20 gallon (both of the same proportions). I've done everything the same as possible, but the 5 gallon tank's Daphnia seem to do much better (as in reproduce much more quickly) than the 20 gallon tank.

I've been feeding them a mix of yeast and spirulina powder, which seems to be working great. The only difference is the 5 gallon tank now has just a bubbler in in it, while the 20 gallon has (had, since I took it out today) a sponge filter in it. I'm thinking the sponge filter might have been taking out some of the good bacteria for the Daphnia.

Any thoughts? Is the 20 gallon just to big? Is it the sponge filter causing the problems? I'm kind of stumped.

FYI, here's some pics of the tanks when I just set them up (both with sponge filters).

5 gallon ...

20 gallon ...

I've been searching like mad on the internet, but can't find a good explanation. Any experts out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!! :) :fish:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do grow millions of daphnia every spring. At present, I have a garbage pail and a 30 gal tank culturing them. The primary function of the 30 is to soak driftwood, with the daphnia secondary. The garbage pail is the usual reservoir I use to collect daphnia from my swimming pool. I culture them on the winter cover, and deliver them to the garbage can in the basement via a garden hose.
At present I have a chunk of pumpkin rotting in each which is supplying the daphnia and the other small critter that is in there (have yet to determine exactly what it is, but it is growing and fish eat them).
In my opinion, the best food for daphnia is green water. I personally find green water difficult to reproduce indoors. So, if you can provide infusoria, this is the next best thing. Murky water means there is food for the dahnia, and it will clear as they consume it. This you have probably noticed. If there is insufficient food, the daphnia will create cysts rather than have live young. you will see these around the tank as they look like specks of pepper. Sometimes, daphnia will enter a di-pause and this will result in the cysys also. Another thing that will trigger a di-pause with some species is too warm a water temp. the daphnia filter out fine animal matter such as amoebas and parameciums that exist on the bacteria, as well as any single cell algae. If the daphnia are well fed they will be bright in colour as opposed to being on the clear side.
I have been told that a good way to culture food for daphnia is to use rabbit pellets to feed snails and the result will be a solution rich in infusoria. I can't verify this but I have scattered rabbit pellets on my pools winter cover to feed the infusoria; it does make sense. My Golden retriever used to take care of that over the winter.
I wouldn't use a filter, but I do have an air stone in both containers. Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BillD said:
I'm no expert, but I do grow millions of daphnia every spring. At present, I have a garbage pail and a 30 gal tank culturing them. The primary function of the 30 is to soak driftwood, with the daphnia secondary. The garbage pail is the usual reservoir I use to collect daphnia from my swimming pool. I culture them on the winter cover, and deliver them to the garbage can in the basement via a garden hose.
At present I have a chunk of pumpkin rotting in each which is supplying the daphnia and the other small critter that is in there (have yet to determine exactly what it is, but it is growing and fish eat them).
In my opinion, the best food for daphnia is green water. I personally find green water difficult to reproduce indoors. So, if you can provide infusoria, this is the next best thing. Murky water means there is food for the dahnia, and it will clear as they consume it. This you have probably noticed. If there is insufficient food, the daphnia will create cysts rather than have live young. you will see these around the tank as they look like specks of pepper. Sometimes, daphnia will enter a di-pause and this will result in the cysys also. Another thing that will trigger a di-pause with some species is too warm a water temp. the daphnia filter out fine animal matter such as amoebas and parameciums that exist on the bacteria, as well as any single cell algae. If the daphnia are well fed they will be bright in colour as opposed to being on the clear side.
I have been told that a good way to culture food for daphnia is to use rabbit pellets to feed snails and the result will be a solution rich in infusoria. I can't verify this but I have scattered rabbit pellets on my pools winter cover to feed the infusoria; it does make sense. My Golden retriever used to take care of that over the winter.
I wouldn't use a filter, but I do have an air stone in both containers. Hope this is of some help.
Bill,

Thanks for the words of wisdom ... wow "Millions of Daphnia !!!". On the green water, I've had a very difficult time cultivating it indoors, but it clearly seems like the best food, along with infusoria. BTW, I did have snails in the tanks to help with infusoria, but they died off in the 5 gallon tank (which is the one working the best for the Daphnia). I'm going to keep on experimenting and reading some more and sharing what I've learned. Maybe I'll try some rabbit pellets too in one of the tanks to see of it helps.

Also, BTW ... I had so much Daphnia (when I was changing water yesterday) that I fed my Brichardi until they were FULL of Daphnia. They were ecstatic ... and so was I !!!

All the best !!! :fish:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
When i claim to grow daphnia by the millions, that is not an exageration. I keep daphnia and the assorted other aquatic larvae that are present on my winter pool cover, in front of my fish 24/7 for 4 to 6 weeks each spring. I first seeded the daphnia in the spring of 1995, and have kept the culture going each year since. I no longer net them from the pool cover, but, rather, siphon them to the basement and the garbage pail via garden hose. I net then from the pail. Regardless, the vast majority end up going down the floor drain.
That first spring, the wter on the pool cover was so green it looked like paint. Our golden pup had defecated all over the ice/snow on the cover over the winter and the resultant rich "culture medium" turned so green I couldn't believe it. i had gone collecting to the pond I frequented, but the catch was so poor, I didn't bother feeding them to the fish but dumped the pail onto the pond created by the winter cover. It took several weeks but the daphnia eventually multiplied enough to start clearing the water. At that point there were brown clouds in the water which were swarms of daphnia.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is so cool !!! I've read of folks culturing them in their pool covers, although that won't work for me since I don't have a pool.

Yesterday, I moved some of the well producing Daphnia over into to the 20 gallon tank hoping that might help jump-start things. I also took out the sponge filter as you recommended.

So far the 5 gallons has hundreds in it and the 20 gallon has about 100-200. We'll see how it goes ... more testing and testing.

Thanks again !!! :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts