Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i look up through the side of my tank towards the surface. I can see a rainbow-ie sheen on the surface.

I tried scooping just some of the surface water out.. i didnt seem to help that much. I would nomally keep scooping until i got it all out and then fill the tank back up... but my jug of prime doesnt come in the mail until tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Im debating on just going and getting some prime locally. Better than my fish dieing. But still stupid since i have 4L coming tomorrow =/.

I should also mention water tests fine and the fish are acting normal. I also dont feed pellets or flakes. I feed bloodworms.. i know flakes are oily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Kaie said:
When i look up through the side of my tank towards the surface. I can see a rainbow-ie sheen on the surface.
IME its the oils from your skin when you put your hands and arms in the tank. Before I put my hands in one of my tanks I wash them in hot water until I no longer feel "oily".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eeztropheus said:
Kaie said:
When i look up through the side of my tank towards the surface. I can see a rainbow-ie sheen on the surface.
IME its the oils from your skin when you put your hands and arms in the tank. Before I put my hands in one of my tanks I wash them in hot water until I no longer feel "oily".
Good idea. Ill try that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
I agree with GTZ that it is probably from food. The best way to get rid of it is to use a surface skimmer. They cost around $10 and can be hooked up to canister and HOB filters. Many say that agitating the water surface will get rid of it, but I find that when you turn the agitation off the film is still there.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
GTZ said:
Oils from food.
+ 1 and not harmful. If it really bothers you I think you can get rid of it by touching the surface with a paper towel briefly.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
Blood worms are very fatty which is the reason they are avoided for the fish I keep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Blood worms are very fatty which is the reason they are avoided for the fish I keep.
What do you normally feed?

I was trying to avoid 'processed' foods, such as pellets and flakes.

I feed the worms to kribs and rams and tetras.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also...

when some species need 'live foods' to breed. Does that actually mean alive.. or do frozen foods such as bloodworms [midge larva] do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tirzo13 said:
Most likely the film comes from food, a certain popular brand seems to do it more than other brands i have used.
I happen to be using a very popular brand. :p
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
I feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top