Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background -- 58 gallon, heavily planted tank with mated pair of rainbow cichlids, tetras, cories and ABN plecos. I've had the mated pair for about a year. Both are fully grown and male is awesome!! They've pretty much been a baby-making machine. Dad is almost always in breeding dress and dancing for the female. They usually lay eggs on one particular rock and claim about half of the tank's foreground (well defined area with a stand of plants in the middle of the foreground to mark their territory.) For the first few batches, they seemed to share in duties, at least in the beginning. Female did most of the fanning, both seemed attentive to the wrigglers. But once the fry were free-swimming, one or the other takes over ALL duties and drives the other away. At first, the female was doing all of it, but for the last, I dunno, 6-8 batches, Dad does it all. And he's very attentive and stays with the babies. Yet the whole thing is usually over in about a week. The swarm gets smaller and smaller each day until they're all gone. I assume there are too many predators in the tank.

I have pulled some fry in the past and raised them. I now have 8 of their offspring and have no more tank room! So I'm no longer pulling out fry. but I really hate to see them disappear and hate to see Dad so eager to be a father.

Anyone else breeding rainbows? What is their usual MO?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pretty much the same with my Rainbows. I have them in a 55 gal with a pair of Sajica. The Sajica pair are much better parents and have managed to raise about 15 fry to about 1/2 inch. They still protect them and pretty much rule the tank at the moment which had interrupted the Rainbow's pattern. Real soon, I'll have to remove the Sajica fry as it will get real crowded.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts