Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I currently have a juvenile rainbow cichlid in a 26gallon but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 40 gallon in summer and wondering what other cichlids I could house with it in hard water and ph around 7.8? Would an electric blue acara or firemouth cichlid work or a apistogramma catuoides? anyone got any other cool suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Sure! There are quite a few Cichlids you can house together in community tank. That is, as long as no one pairs off in there to spawn. :?
The big question is however, what will the dimensions be for this new aquarium? For keeping Cichlids, the bottom dimensions, or 'real estate' area (foot print) of the tank are much more important to consider than the gallon capacity.
So, if you were to upgrade in size to a new tank I would recommend you purchase an aquarium with the largest possible bottom size you can get. An example of this would be the so-called, 33 gallon 'long' type aquarium.
The bottom dimensions of that type of tank are 12" deep by 48" wide. It's a long tank! And, because of that shape you can (more) safely stock Cichlids together in a community arrangement that may be stressed otherwise, in a tank with a smaller bottom foot print.
-
So, come back with the tank dimensions of what you would like to purchase. We'll then be much better informed on what sort of New World Cichlid stocking recommendations would work best for you. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm think of getting a 90cm long tank so 3ft as that's the full length of my cupboard what cichlid could I have with the rainbow in there I will only be keeping individuals of cichlid species so no breeding to avoid aggression

I may be able to get a new cabinet that would allow a 4ft tank what would I be able to pair with it in there?

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Totally understand all of that.
And, there's a lot of difference in what you can potentially stock in a 4 foot long tank vs. something 3 foot in length. For me, there's just too many variables, with a lot to unpack there....
So, tell you what - make that decision on what you are gonna purchase. Get the larger aquarium (I totally recommend going for the biggest tank possible), and then tell us what you actually have.
-
We'll work through that then with this new tank you've purchased, on what may work out best for you in stocking it up. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts