Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just acquired two Herotilapia multispinosa or Rainbow cichlids and was wondering are they known to be aggressive towards each other? They are in a 20g long for QT. THere are two territories for each of them, but the larger one(4'') is always beating up the smaller one(3-3.5''). The smaller one does have some old wounds from when they were at the LFS. What's the best thing to do?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beautiful fish, I owned a pair in a 75 gallon community tank, and had them challenging each other constantly. The tank was big enough where the loser could always retreat without harm, but there was no dominant one.

In a 20 long for two fish that size, I would 1) get a longer tank preferably 48" or 2) build a lot more of caves and plant obstructions to block their view of each other.

Even if they are not hurting each other the constant stress will open the door to health problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks I think I will separate them for now they're in QT that's why they are in the 20g. After the QT they are going in a 40g with lots of plants, caves, and driftwood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts