Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all these ocellatus the same fish just different locals??
ALso is Lamp. Speciosus the same as lamp melegris ( pearly Ocellatus)

TY

Travis

·
Registered
656 Posts
The gold ones are a line bred species, The blue ones are found in zambia, and speciosus and meleagris/stappersii are two different species.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
All ocellatus types are the same species (at least for now), yes from different locales.

The Gold ones are natural occurring species, not line bred.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fogelhund said:
All ocellatus types are the same species (at least for now), yes from different locales.

since when are meleagris the same species as blue occies?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
shellies215 said:
Fogelhund said:

since when are meleagris the same species as blue occies?
Sorry, meant Gold, Blue and Yellow... not meleagris nor specioucus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
OK, I'll buy that. :D I don't remember where, but I read that golds came from a few oddly colored specimens of the regular blue occies, and they were line bred for the hobby. This may not be true, but I can't find any pictures of the golds in the lake.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
shellies215 said:
OK, I'll buy that. :D I don't remember where, but I read that golds came from a few oddly colored specimens of the regular blue occies, and they were line bred for the hobby. This may not be true, but I can't find any pictures of the golds in the lake.
I've seen a ton of golds imported from wild... they are legit. Actually, two types of fish sold as "gold". Haven't seen any of the original golds for some time though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am posting to correct myself, after some more research, I have found that golds occur in the wild at Nkamba Bay, Zambia. I read the line breed story on the internet somewhere, just proves there's plenty of bad information out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts