Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
I think that the nature of air pumps is that they are noisy. And sumps as well.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
The quietest aquarium(s) with air pumps I've heard, have been ones with the air pumps kept separate from the tank they service. That is, really loooong air line hoses, with the actual air pump(s) sited in a different room! Yes, electric air pumps have gotten much quieter than the ones sold and used 'back in the day'. But unfortunately, those things still really are industrious humming and buzzing little boxes of constant activity and noise.
There isn't an electric air pump made today, that I can honestly say runs very quietly. :confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The quietest aquarium(s) with air pumps I've heard, have been ones with the air pumps kept separate from the tank they service. That is, really loooong air line hoses, with the actual air pump(s) sited in a different room! Yes, electric air pumps have gotten much quieter than the ones sold and used 'back in the day'. But unfortunately, those things still really are industrious humming and buzzing little boxes of constant activity and noise.
There isn't an electric air pump made today, that I can honestly say runs very quietly. :confused:
Thanks I will just test a few out to try find them now am happy with

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pondforse quiet air pump is the quietest air pump I've been able to find. I have it putting out 240 GPH of air through 8 large air disks in two separate MBBR chambers in my sump. I cannot hear the air pump over the sound of the air bubbles. Though I had doubts about the reviews, I find them to be 100% accurate. I love this air pump. I'll never buy another.

For comparison purposes, I've tried everything. I stopped short of linear piston in another room like Auballagh is suggesting.
I purchased a Hydrofarm AAPA15L - From amazon because of the reviews. I ran it for an hour and decided it was terrible. I agreed with Auballagh before I found the Pondforse, but this one is tolerable.

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
I am counting the sound of the air bubbles as part of the noise of the air system.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ah, I see. All that notwithstanding, I found that once I didn't have the pump also vibrating, the high volume of air was a super tolerable noise. I was incorrect above. The pump puts out 475GPH. It really is fantastic, and if it weren't for the air, you would not be able to hear it. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but in this case it's not. That pump is amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts