Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some old posts, I've decided to switch over the the sand. Can anyone give me some good tips? I'm wondering if like the African Cichlid Sand, it stabilizes the PH or will I have to doctor up the water after I add the sand. From some of the posts I've read, some wash the sand and some don't. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=

I ended up removing it out of my tank as the stuff floats around way too much.. It's very fine, I would go with a Pool Filter sand over this stuff.

I didn't wash mine and it ended up being a real pain because the dust was so bad it stuck to everything... I'd recommending washing it just to settle the dust, otherwise it is crystal clear.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The trouble with general sand whether it is called play sand, all purpose sand or whatever, is that there is no "standard" for what is in the bag. I have used a lot of this type sand doing small masonry type jobs. The stuff can vary a lot. Seems to be partly due to where it is bagged. Since the main issue is to find cheap sand to bag, it may come from all kinds of places across the country. I have used some in my tanks and been satisfied but I have also used some that caused lots of trouble with having too much dirt. I bought one bag that was so red it never would have worked in the tank. I now plan to use pool filter sand in the future as there does seem to be some grading done to make it more uniform for use in the filters. Any of it does take a quite a lot of rinsing to remove the fine dust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.