Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I use a heat pack now? Shipping from WV to OH, and shipping UPS.

Also, shipping in a fairly thick styrofoam container inside the box. I've got a 72 hour heat pack, just worried about overheating.

·
Registered
62 Posts
used a heat pack and shipped from PA to OH. over night. had to make a hole in the box for air circulation.it all depends on how fast your shipping it. if the weather at night isn't low you should be ok.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry to butt in - but these heat packs everyone uses - are they just store-bought ones? Do you just set it on the bottom of the box and the bags directly on top?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
attach your heat pack to the top of each insulated box, and use them any time your shipment travels above/below the equator's line. IME.

·
Registered
295 Posts
lloyd said:
attach your heat pack to the top of each insulated box, and use them any time your shipment travels above/below the equator's line. IME.
Are you saying anywhere in the world? I'm not sure what you mean about above/below the equator.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
there is a trace of sarcasm in my post, but i find heat packs to be under estimated, and under utilized by most.
temp. variances on overnight shipments can vary plenty, most of us have no experience with the exposures our boxes might deal with, and safe is better than sorry. i believe heat packs offer temp consistency during travel, more than simply protect from the cold.
a shipper/receiver pal of mine told me that they would leave livestock in cooler areas, rather than expose them to heat/sun sources. so from that, i concluded heat packs would not likely ever 'over heat' a package.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and used one. I packed it up well, put plenty of layers between the bags and the pack. the temps are fluxuating so much right now I just didn't want to take the chance of them getting too cold. It got down into the 40's here last night, 50's tomorrow night and on delivery day its suppose to be in the 60's in OH.

but these heat packs everyone uses - are they just store-bought ones? Do you just set it on the bottom of the box and the bags directly on top?
These are heat packs made for shipping live animals. They are not the same as ones you would use for hunting or something like that. Those burn hotter and faster. Also, when you ship the heat pack should never touch the bags of fish. If they do the water will overheat and will cook the fish. I've gotten boxes where that happened, and let me tell you, I could smell them through the box. It was really nasty. Tape the heat pack to the top or side. I always wrap my heat packs in a couple layers of newspaper and then tape it to the side, and then put a few more layers between it and the bags. I usually pack pretty tight so nothing moves around a lot.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
actually dude its warm enough outside that you dont need a heat pack.

+++ if you read the details of the heat pack i bet it says that it will get upto 110*F

if you do put it in there put a sheet of cardboard/or extra strofoam and the bottom and put the heatpack between it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.