Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to mis substrates, such as plant substrate with sand. I have a new tank where I want sand but plan on having live plants too

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Yes, but depending on why you want sand, it might defeat the purpose to mix. I actually submerge pots of plant substrate in sand in my tank.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Yes, mixing things is actually the way nature does it. It is very rare to find a patch of lake bottom that is purely sand or purely gravel. What is more important is that it fit the particular items you want it to work with in the tank. Some sand can pack too tightly for some plants to root well. Some fish may dig and rearrange sand so that the plant substrate is exposed. If the look is not right that may figure into what you want to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok maybe I should have stated what my intentions were, sorry. I dont want to necessarily mix it if I dont have to but I want to plant rooted plants if possible and allow the roots to grow.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Some rooted plants are fine in just sand (jungle val maybe?) and some like a rich substrate (swords and crypts).

What about having just sand and doing plants that will grow on rocks like java fern and anubias?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Sounds like you might like a tank with different areas. No reason you can't do a planted area and have a retaining wall seperate it from the other area. Sand in front right and planted substrate covered with gravel in the rest? Works with my small 20 gallon. At some point the two may get mixed but I don't put my big digging fish in my planted tank! A small bit of sand sifting doesn't matter to me. I used a tile saw to cut the edges off limestone to make the flat edges on the retaining wall stones.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have sand with Seachem flourite on top. Plants do fine in it. You could probably do a layer of flourite with sand on top if you wanted it to look sandy.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Or to stretch the flourite over a larger area, mixing it with small gravel works. Pretty much like most of the rules in a hobby, if you want to do something a little different there is no way to tell until you try it. If it works, it works and let somebody else worry about the rules.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have 4 different types of anubias growing in my tanks and all I use is silica and play sand. You will be fine as long as you keep the rhizome exposed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts