Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my situation is..
55g with dems and yellow labs - dems are relatively young, i got them about a month ago and i just noticed one of them pregnant

20g with 6 yellow lab fry about 2 weeks old

5g empty and have no filter for it yet.

So my questions would be:

Can i put a holding dem into a 20g with yellow lab fry?
Would holding dem chase or eat yellow lab fry?
Or could i throw labs into 5g without filtration, dem into a 20gal, and change water every other day in 5g?

Any other opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
My first dem was a holding female alone in a 55 gallon tank. She never tried to eat her young.
When they were about 1 inch, I added a group of 9 1 1/2 inch dems to the mix.
The adult female shows no aggression to any of them, and she always seem to have an
entourage following her where ever she goes. I don't know if this would be different with other adults or another species in the mix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
football mom said:
My first dem was a holding female alone in a 55 gallon tank. She never tried to eat her young.
The adult female shows no aggression to any of them, and she always seem to have an
entourage following her where ever she goes. I don't know if this would be different with other adults or another species in the mix.
Thanks for the info.
See the dem that's holding is probably not even 2", and the fry in 20g are just 2 weeks old, so i don't know how would it work out.. I guess I should try putting her in a 20g with yellow lab fry, since she's holding i don't think she'll do much to the fry in the tank, i just need to make sure since i haven't done anything like that before. Thanks

Any more opinions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
football mom said:
Thanks for the info.
See the dem that's holding is probably not even 2", and the fry in 20g are just 2 weeks old, so i don't know how would it work out.. I guess I should try putting her in a 20g with yellow lab fry, since she's holding i don't think she'll do much to the fry in the tank, i just need to make sure since i haven't done anything like that before. Thanks

Any more opinions?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
The mom will be fine with the fry while she is holding. But once she spits, the lab fry will eat the Demasoni fry.

Can you leave her in the main tank until you get another fry tank cycled? Where do you plan to raise the Demasoni fry?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Can you leave her in the main tank until you get another fry tank cycled? Where do you plan to raise the Demasoni fry?
hmm that's a good question.. i thought i will have a 20g grow out and 5g fry tank for dems, it's just that i got yellow lab fry unexpectedly, so now i'm kinda confused..

Also do i need to cycle 5g tank? if i gonna usa a sponge filter and fry don't **** as much as adult fish:) are they still gonna polute water as bad? Sorry for stupid questions, i'm new to breeding :D Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Yes you have to cycle the tank (or change 100% of water daily). If your sponge filter has already been in the main tank for two weeks, then you add it to the new tank, it will be already cycled since the bacteria live in the filter. A 5G tank will not be good for fry for more than a week or two, you are better off with a 20G or at least a 10G.

I'd add the sponge filter to the main tank and leave it and the mom in there for 2 weeks. Then move them to whatever tank you are going to use to raise the fry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts