Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they fairly quiet? I plan on setting up a tank in my room and when I go to sleep I don't want them making too much noise. If anyone has experience with this, lol

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
beav1s said:
Are they fairly quiet? I plan on setting up a tank in my room and when I go to sleep I don't want them making too much noise. If anyone has experience with this, lol
I have experience with this, so should I laugh out loud?

+3. Canisters are the quietest way to go.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a canister on my 55 in the living room. Never hear it. It's silent. I have a sump on the 110 in my office, which I close the door to and I close my bedroom door, and I can hear the overflow. The new 55 will also have a can for that very reason.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They are the quietest option for filtration that you can find. Among them, the consensus seems to be that the Eheims are the quietest of the canisters. I have only owned Magnums besides my Eheims, so I don't have side-by-side experience with Fluvals, Renas, or others, but I love the Eheims I've bought in the last year or so, and will continue going in that direction in the future. Meanwhile, I will soon be getting rid of the wet/dry in my living room because of noise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am currently replacing all my hang-on-back filters with cannisters because of the noise. My HOB aquaclear filters were pretty silent at first but now half of them are making a grinding noise. Probably because of the fine sand that gets the impeller out of axle ...

I have experience with only fluval 404 and eheim classics canisters but those two are 100% silent..even with sand substrate.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I remember going from hob to canister in my bedroom. The difference is amazing. You will not regret it....ever. fyi my avatar is my bedroom tank. Also he is the oldest fish I have. Had him 9 years. :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My canister filter is absolutely silent - running an eheim pro ii 2026, and you can't even hear it at all, and it's not even in my cabinet!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Canisters are very quiet. I am partial towards the Eheims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to the many knowledgeable people here on the forum I purchased an Eheim 2217 Classic. Despite not having a self priming capability it is very easy to set up IMHO. Also it is quiet as a mouse in my cabinet. Good luck !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts