Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me on some quick growning live plants that will fill up my tank a bit right now i have a java fern and an amazon sword...and neither seem to be growing much...my fish don't seem to bother them at all....any suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Corkscrew Val's reproduce like crazy.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Anacharis, hornwort, najas graminer, crystalwort, water wisteria and hygrophilia are some besides val. There are others, too. My 90 is being overrun with Amazon swords. Hornwort and najas graminer have no roots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how are you getting your amazon to multiply mine was doing great then just don't seem like its as green as usual and thanks for the plant ideas

·
Registered
688 Posts
ColtenB, My Amazons are planted in a small-grained gravel and I use plant tabs plus Flourish Excel, Flourish Trace and plain Flourish. My lighting is two 65-watt 6700K compact fluorescents. Right now one of my Amazons has a three-foot stem or runner with four baby plants on it. Once they get roots I will try to grow them until the leaves get to be about four inches and then will take them to my favorite LFS either for store credit or just give them away. By the way, crystalwort doe not have roots either. One of my favorite plants is water wisteria and once it starts growing it can take over a tank if you don't prune it regularly. I am always giving some to the LFS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it hurt my africans at all? i wrote down the names of those plants tomorrow i'm gonna go take a look to see what my fish store has..thank you soo much for your help

·
Registered
688 Posts
The plants wont hurt your Africans, but the Africans might hurt the plants, mainly by digging them up as they rearrange the substrate. I don't have Africans now, but I had a few corkscrew vals, anacharis and hornwort when I had aceis and labs and they kept uprooting the vals when they were digging around. They never bothered the other two types of plants. In my present setup I have three types of Amazon swords, anacharis, water wisteria and pennywort. As for fish, I have five tiger barbs, three Siamese algae eaters, two otocinclus which I hardly ever see and some nerite snails. The tank is mostly plants. My preference is for a heavily planted tank that is lightly stocked. When I had the Africans I had a lot of rocks and some cichlid stones with just a few plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts