Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ONE of my fish has bloat, I have removed him into a hospital tank and is in the process of treating with clout. My question is this...I didn't want to treat the whole tank with clout because the other fish are fine and eating healthy so I went out and bought metronidazole powder and I was going to put it in the main tank in their food when i feed them just as a precautionary measure because at least they are still eating and i figured i would treat them as well but without the clout bomb.
Is this overkill?
How do i feed the fish the metro in their pellet food, just let the pellets soak in a cup of diluted metro?
I was thinking maybe a paste of metro and something else but i don't know if that would work.
Is bloat even contagious, some say yes, some say no.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi,
Yes it is contagious so you've right in thinking all fish need to be treated.

To treat the still eating fish with metronidazole:
First do a partial water change of 30% using a good quality dechlorinator and siphon the gravel.

Dissolve the metronidazole in a very small amount of water and soak your pellets in it. It can be a bit of a challenge to get the met in the pellets and also have the pellet hold together long enough in the water for the fish to get it. Seachem has a product, I think it's called Focus, and it can be added to the met/pellet mixture to hold it together. Check their site to make sure I've got the name right.
You can feed them the met-soaked food for 7-10 days. Try to fit in a few extra partial water changes during the treatment.

Robin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i am right not to clout bomb the whole tank
i'll try the soaking technique, should i just clout the affected non eating fish for three days in the hospital tank and then put him back in the main tank or should i wait until he eats before i put him in the main tank
thanks alot for the reply, its great to know i'm doing it right for the fish

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
so i am right not to clout bomb the whole tank
Some people prefer to just use clout on all the fish, both the ones showing symptoms and the ones who are not. That may seem like overkill but it can be a challenge feeding fish met-soaked food. Just getting enough of the med into the food and staying with the treatment long enough so the med actually works. Not saying it can't be done, I've done it and so have many others, and anytime you can get fish to eat their medicine they're going to respond better than when it's just in the water, but Clout for all route has it's benefits, too.
should i just clout the affected non eating fish for three days in the hospital tank and then put him back in the main tank or should i wait until he eats before i put him in the main tank
Follow the dosing directions on the Clout package, or follow the dosing directions for Clout in the Bloat STICKY at the top of this folder. In either case: make sure you do as many partial water changes as you can fit in.

Don't return the fish to the main tank until he is eating and swimming normally. And if he doesn't completely recover then do a second round.(If there's no change in his symptoms at all then we may need to re-think the diagnosis)

Robin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok- heres an update...
the Clout didn't work, but i noticed the metrodinazole soaked food i was feeding to the other fish in the main tank worked amazing. So i switched the hospital tank to metro treatment in the water after five full days of treatment my red empress started to eat and made a big long black poop this evening. I have never been more happier to see doo doo. I guess i will leave him in the hospital tank for a few more days to make sure he is OK. Thanks for the support Robin, red empress thanks you too

·
Registered
49 Posts
hmmm.... for me i dont believe that bloat is contagious. its more of stress related. if your fish was being harassed by other fish then he can incure bloat. though every fish in the main tank can get one because stress can be anything in your tank. can be your water parameters, can be the food that you gave them or just simply one bully cichlid causing havoc in your tank.

regarding clout, yep its a good med. but you can also try metronidazole tablet + mebendezole.

mebendezole is like a laxative in some ways and will clean the insides of your fish then the metronidazole will do the work of killing the parasite that had infested your fish.

you can buy this in your friendly drug store in 250 or 500mg dose.

1 tablet/20 gal.

make sure you dissolve the 2 tablets first before adding it to your hospital tank. make sure its well aerated too. you will only dose the mebendezole once, only on the first day.

do not feed the fish while in treatment. after 2-3 days make a 50% water change then observe the fish.

you will notice that the fish will make alot of poop and thats a good sign. on the 3rd and 4th day continue doing water change atleast 25%. till you reach the 5th day. if necessary redose with metronidazole on the 3rd day.

be very careful when administering this drugs because putting to much can be fatal. thats why while in medication its very important to constantly observe the fish for any sign of stress.

hope i was able to help you.

·
Super Moderator
40,537 Posts
djoverdose said:
i dont believe that bloat is contagious. its more of stress related.
Interesting. I believe that it IS contagious, but also that it is caused by stress. I base this belief on articles I have read, but also this type of experience. One fish is being picked on and due to stress, he becomes susceptible and ill. No one else is stressed because he was the only one singled out to be picked on.

He is removed from the tank and treated in the hospital. I like metronidazole too.

Several weeks later, another fish...not a victim fish, no one is picking on him...becomes ill. Remove and treat.

Several weeks later a third fish...not a victim fish, no one is picking on him...becomes ill. And so on until your tank is decimated.

There are recurring reports of this happening with bloat. It happened to me the first time, but since then I have gotten pretty good at the timing of removing the victim fish before he becomes ill at all.

Victim fish are recurring in my tank because I constantly have new male demasoni being born-growing-maturing and the dominant males reject one of the sub-dom males whenever there are too many. I remove a sub-dom male about once every six months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DJransome,

had experienced it before in my datnoid tank before. i placed two frontosa with them as their tank mate. one of the front was being constantly chased by the other front after 2 weeks that front got bloat and died while the other one lives and was very healthy. even my tigers was not affected.

inside that tank was 4 indo tigers, 1 senegal bichir, 4 silver dollar, and 2 frontosa. only one died because of bloat and after that incident it did not recur any more.

also recently in my peacock tank, one of my maleri got bloat. lucky for me i spotted him right on time so i removed him from the main tank and placed him in a hospital tank and treated him accordingly.

its almost a month now and everything seems to be normal again.

I know that its a never ending debate weather bloat is contagious or not, but i guess the most important part here is for us to know the early signs of bloat so that we can treat them immediately and save them before its too late.

I am a firm believer that if we maintain a good quality of water for our fish, proper diet and with the right kind of tankmates we can avoid or atleast lessen the possibility of any type of disease.

likewise prevention is still better than cure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.