Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted an 3000 gallon pond canister filter and 850 gallon per hour submersible pump in my 120 gallon african cichlid tank. it works great but the pump is noisy. does any one know a trick to quiet it down. my tank is in my living room.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
It would be helpful to know what pump you are using and how exactly you have it set up with the pond canister filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Usually if my pumps get noisy it is from the vibration if they move and get next to the sump wall. If I reposition the pump away from the wall it is quiet. If that isn't it check your impeller to see if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the lack of info. It is an 850 gph sunterra submersible pond pump. It is in the tank covered by river rock. Its plumbed with one inch clear vinyl tubing. The tubing runs to my basement where it goes into a 3000 gallon sunterra garden pond canister filter. Since my last post i moved the pump away from tank glass into the center. then i discvered that if I tip the pump on its side at about an 45 degree angle. For some reason that quieted it down a ton. I can live with it now. Its pretty much silent. more a vibration than a sound now. My concern is does this vibration have any negative effect on my fishes lateral line?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts