Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female holding around 20-30 fry in a nursery tank. She keeps letting them out of her mouth, then when I come to look, she quickly vacuums them back into her mouth.

Whats the deal? Should I take her out of the nursery when the fry are let out or leave well enough alone until she is ready to leave them out permanently?

Does anyone have a clue why she is doing this? Fear of my taking her babies away perhaps?

ASH

·
Registered
721 Posts
It is normal for the female to scoop of her young when she fears there is danger to them. A natural response. You can catch her and remove the fry if you wish--or leave her in there as long as you like. They will sooner/later outgrow her mouth. I don't know if over a period of time if she will devour them or not..but it has happened. :(

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you want to ensure she does not eat them then you should remove her. If you want to just watch and learn from this batch then leave her in and see what she does. Its normal for mouth brooding fish to take the fry back into the mouth for protection.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
this is why i often suggest to reconsider the practicality of nursery tanks for mouth brooding females. IME, you will need to intervene before her maternal instincts fade. otherwise, as 'css virginia' suggests, she will likely devour them.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
cichlidgirl1 said:
Its normal for mouth brooding fish to take the fry back into the mouth for protection.
this reaction of the female is only 'normal' in a scenario of extreme risk. as i mentioned earlier, such activities should force us to reconsider the appropriateness, of confining holding females in Q. IMHO.
good luck with your new fry, Ash. i am certain, that if your remove the mother as soon as possible, all remaining fry will be fine. they do not need her at this point. she only 'thinks' so. HTH.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did take the female out of my nursery as there was no egg sack and no reason to keep her starving in the nursery.

I took her out, looked in her mouth, then fed the main tank so she could eat something.

I am the proud papa of around 30 beautiful Frontosa fry!

Photos to come....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am totally amazed at how my female frontie could fit so many fry in her mouth. This female is not tremendously large.....

amazing...simply amazing

·
Registered
619 Posts
I love watching that, its so cool to see them all get sucked or swim into her mouth. Its like a bit of wild kingdom in my livingroom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts