Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a quick question, I search the library and did not find the answer. I am setting up a 180 for some fronts and want to get some rocks. How do you tell what type of rocks are safe for the aquairum? I believe I read before that there is a test that you can do using lemons, is this true :roll:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Frontlover said:
Guys,

I have a quick question, I search the library and did not find the answer. I am setting up a 180 for some fronts and want to get some rocks. How do you tell what type of rocks are safe for the aquairum? I believe I read before that there is a test that you can do using lemons, is this true :roll:
I have a resource somewhere that may help - I just gotta find it :? In the mean time, I would avoid sharp rocks and rocks that are metalicy that flakes. For the most part, river rocks will work well. I clean my rocks with a wire brush and some very hot water. If you have a stone company near by, that is a great place to "shop" for rocks. Here is how I did my 55 gallon tank with Canadian Mica & Georgian White Marble (below)... Good Luck, Russ

1st two pics are of my 55G grow tank with Candaian Mica (btw: I'd avoid the flakey version of Canadian Mica)

A couple pics of my 125G Kapmapa breeder tank with some river rock with a type of slate (as a breeder tank I am trying to keep it simple so I can catch the moms and strip eggs).

My 40G tank - a mixture of backyard boulders

The next few pics are of an older 75G tank mpimbwe tank with Shannandoah Rock, I really liked that rock. Found it at a stone company many years ago and it is no longer available.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i have no clue about lemon testing, but would suggest that most common rocks are safe for tanks requiring ph above 7. best set up, allows 2-3x body space for your largest front to pass by, to avoid scale damage and/or dinted foreheads. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts