Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much lower does the container need to be from my fry tank to create a siphon? Is it any decrease in height?

I know the lower you go the more siphon action I will get, but I am just worried about enough siphon to clean the uneaten food off the bottom and dont really want a ton of suction to keep them from getting sucked out.

I was thinking of using my extra power head to "pump" out the majority of the volume but wanted to make sure I have enough to clean the bare bottom.

Right now if I do not raise the tank I would have about a difference of 4 inches from bottom of tank to bottom of bucket, think that will be enough?

·
Registered
509 Posts
It doesn't take much difference for water to run down hill. 4" is probably plenty. I think I may have about 6" in my set up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
In that situation, you will only be able to siphon four inches into the bucket. As the level in the bucket approaches the level in the tank the flow will slow down until it stops when the levels are even. Depending on the fish type, you may want to use a different method. Some fry will run from the siphon while others will try to hide in the stuff you are trying to remove. The African cichlids I had dealt with alway ran to the other end. When I first did the same with rainbow cichlids, I lost a few before I realized they hid in the grunge on the bottom and did not move. Being a speckled brown color, they were impossible to see so they went up the pipe and gone. With them I wrapped a fine mesh net over the siphon until they got bigger.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you are quick you may be able to vacuum the bottom before your 4" run out then you just raise the tube in the tank to drain for your 50% water change or so. Otherwise just use 2 buckets to get 8" effective drainage.

Either way I suggest getting a large diameter tube though. At least 5/8".

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've started using a turkey baster to pick up all the grunge on the bottom of my fry tank. Then I use a siphon only on the top of the tank after the bottom is clean.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried it tonight and I was able to siphon just over a 3rd of the tank so almost 3 gallons. Just used my old powerhead for the rest.

With the bare bottom it only takes about 30 sec to vac the bare bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts