Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this adequate filtration?
Yes1593.75%
No16.25%

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello! I am in the process of setting up a African Cichlid Aquarium that will be 55 gallons. I have a lot of experience with aquariums (75 gallon mixed reef, 29 gallon softy reef, 20 gallon heavy planted, 10 gallon lightly planted betta/ guppy) but have never had an african cichlid aquarium. I have set the tank up with aragonite sand and tons of large rocks. I have a 4x65 watt light with 2x 10000k and 2x actinic blue. Now to my real question: is my filtration going to be adequate? Im running (1) Rena filstar xp1 canister (1) Eheim ecco 2234 and (1) tetra whisper ex70 HOB. Since African tanks are usually a tad overstocked does this sound like enough filtration?

Thank You!!!

SnookMan88

·
Registered
705 Posts
i believe you need to also look at your stock list. whatever it may be if theres no plants in there you may have too much light. could become an algae issue. so if you decide no plants i suggest u get an algae eatting species (mbuna in general but for my money id go with acei) hope my two cents helps. gl to ya

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do plan on growing anubias nana and possibly java fern as well. i ordered some fish from livefishdiret.com and those are: 5 yellow labs and 3 maingano. 2 of the labs are sexed as males and so is one of the maingano. these fish will arrive on tuesday (yay!). right now i have 2 small kenjis in there (around an inch). thank you for your input anthrax!

SnookMan88

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You have enough filtration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts