Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do peacock females eat their young? should i use a breeding trap and let the fry fall through to my tank? and will a 30 gallon be sufficient for one females fry?

·
Registered
554 Posts
yes they eat their young, once she spits, put her in a different tank. Not sure about the breeding trap. Yes, a 30 gallon will be ok for one female's fry, just not indefinitely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i mean those plastic traps that hold the female but have small slits in the bottom of them so the fry can fall through into the tank and be safe from the female

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Those traps are for like mollies and guppies. Really small space for an adult female and she may hold the fry longer than she should if she feels unsafe about spitting the fry.

With Malawi the female should be fine in the main tank for the first 18 days. Then put her in the fry tank until she spits them out. Remove her from the fry within 24-48 hours and put her back in the main tank.

No problem!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
Those traps are for like mollies and guppies. Really small space for an adult female and she may hold the fry longer than she should if she feels unsafe about spitting the fry.

With Malawi the female should be fine in the main tank for the first 18 days. Then put her in the fry tank until she spits them out. Remove her from the fry within 24-48 hours and put her back in the main tank.

No problem!
+1

If you leave her longer than 48 hours, she will probably begin to view the fry as food. Regarding tank size, really 15 gallon is big enough for a couple of months. Just make sure the fry tank is cycled. The easiest way to do this, is to run the filter for that tank, on the main tank until it gets enough bacteria in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.