Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my LFS today just doing some window shopping for some fish and picked up a new filter for my grow out tank. I noticed that in there Cichlid tank that half of the fish are really bloated and there was about 5 with long (over 1 inch) white stringy poo on them, so I am assuming it is bloat. I notified the manager about it and she was asking me how to treat it.

So my question is all there tanks run from one central filter so I am guess that all of them are at risk of infection. How long do you think would be safe to wait once I see no more fish with symptoms before you would buy any fish from them? Sure would hate to wipe out my tank from getting one sick fish!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would say yes, if all of their tanks are connected than I would think all of their cichlids are at risk. Bloat seems to spread like wild fire so there is no telling. I find it scary that the manager at a LFS would ask you how to treat for it. As far as how long to wait...I dont know. Maybe bring or ask to feed the tank and if a fish is eating and not spitting then you could take it home, put it in a hospital tank and feed food soaked in Metronidazole for five days before adding to your show tank.

G

·
that doesnt suprise me at all... in the 8 months *** been keeping fish.. 7 of which *** been keeping cichlids, *** learned more about africans, cichlids, bloat and other things than most of the employees at all the lfs around here... they especially know jack *#$#* about africans... i wouldnt even bother buying any fish that had or might have or might get bloat... waste of money as they are even more prone to get it from stress than a fish that never had it and also can get it easily when first put in your tank... i wouldnt even chance it.. theres so many good online breeders that will ship to your house and can sex fish even before they show color i find thats the best way to get fish...

G

·
or *** had great luck with buying fish from people in the hobby on here... well some luck.. sometimes fish jus die... but thats with people too lol

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think of bloat as being caused by poor feeding habits for some types of African cichlids. If they feed all their fish the same and do not know what causes bloat, I would not depend on their information very far. As for buying from them, I would learn more about bloat and then more about the fish you want and then you will be able to decide which fish are prone to bloat and why. At that point you will be able to decide if the fish you want is safe to buy from their shop. Bloat is no longer the deep dark mystery disease it was 25 years ago.
Some fish types get bloat easily, others hardly ever.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update:

Was back into that very LFS the next day after noticing that outbreak, hoping to see a quarentined sign, but low and behold they just pulled the worst looking ones and continued business like nothing ever happened. I asked and all their tank are on 1 central filtration system so that and the fact they wouldnt do what is needed to take care of the problem really scares me. I guess I can still get my supplies from there but just no fish. Luckily I have hooked up with a couple local people here that breed and can help get the fish I want. If not like stated there is always online ordering or take a road trip!!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
With any fish that you buy it's best to quarantine them. But yeah, you might not want to buy fish from that store for awhile.

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 on avoiding that store... Can't you call in an authority on them? Here, fish have zero rights (people use them like we use flowers :( ) but I know this isn't true elsewhere. Poor fishies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
+1 on not trusting the LFS to know anything...and it's even worse when they pretend to be "authorities". I bought all mine from one store...and totally screwed everything up (my fault for assuming they knew what they were talking about). I think I now own more than one peackhapabuna (though I did also find some very nice fish there too). The other stores I went to I watched fish after fish go belly up, one place lost around seven 6-8" haps, in different tanks, in the five or 10 minutes I was watching them!

That said, one of mine did get white stringy poo, a couple got bloatish looking swollen abdomens...but it was due to stress, not bloat and they never lost their appetites. So if they are eating, they might just be stressed and bloat prone, but not yet bloated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts