Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my new test kits, API, and here are the results.

Tap water (sat for a day): 7.4 ph, 6d gh, 4d kh

Tank water: 8.3 ph, 8d gh, 11d kh

Have been using Seachem Tang Buffer at half dose & Cichlid Salt but would like to switch to the recipe from the library.

The recipe states: "Start by adding 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda to five gallons of dechlorinated water and see how much this raises your pH. Then adjust your dosage so as to attain a desired level (somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.2-8.6). Repeat this procedure for Epsom Salt, starting out with ½ teaspoon. Try to achieve a GH between 15 and 25 dgh. Then add 1 teaspoon of salt."

So, my ph is fine but gh & kh are low. Adding epsom salt will raise gh but what raises kh?
If its baking soda the ph should not go any higher but the kh will?

I'm starting a new tank and plan to match the current water and then move contents from current set up to new bigger tank (90g to 125g). I'm planning to move as much water from this tank and add new water to match so that there is not a big difference in water specs so that it will be like a large water change to the fish.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Baking soda will rasie the ph a bit, but since you are on the low end anyway it shouldn't bother the fish. Baking soda maxes out at about 8.2-8.4 no matter how much you put in. Just keep adding it to your test bucket until you get the kh your want.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I'm planning on setting up the new tank and letting it run this weekend, I'll be away till Tue,
And adjusting the water to match my 90g. Then when all is the same, dumping some and moving contents from 90g to 125g, all rocks, filters and fish. New tank will also have a new fx5 added to filter set up and sand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.