Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 15 F1 kande Island peacocks for free. can anyone give me some info and pics of this fish. I have had and raised peacocks for many year, just looking for info on the fish itself. I was told it was in the hobby about 20 years ago but it sort of disapeared form the hobby but there starting to come back.

Any info would be helpfull

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are not the Blue Orchids, I have a group of them. These are a yellow body with a blue head like the Usisya Flavescennt. They have a pic in the profiles but no info on the spieces itself. And yes the Blue Orchid itself is very peacefull.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Yes, this was also called A. steveni, an old name. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1397

Probably became less popular when they discovered all the East coast races in the 90s such as "Blue Neon" which is similar but has a blue dorsal.

If they are F1 you probably will get a few nice males, should be quite nice. Hope they look like this pic.

Interesting, both this "Steveni Kande" and A. kandeese are from the same area in the lake. You notice that the Blue Orchid male has dark sides with a light blue forehead and dorsal, while the "Steveni" has yellow sides and a dark forehead and dorsal... that way they can tell each other apart so they don't crossbreed.

"Blue Orchid"

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks noki
I find it intresting that both spieces are found at the same location. You would think that there would be some crossbreeding going on there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts