Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tail fin has these 'extensions', for lack of a better word. Not at the top and bottom, but at irregular intervals down the fin. The con has shown above average growth; he outgrew his siblings and had the noticeable beginnings to a nuchal hump around 5 months old. It could be a fairly common thing that I haven't witnessed before. Any thoughts? (Apologies for the blurry pics. Click on them for a bigger image).

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi duds,

Sorry, I am not sure if that is common or not. However, I wanted to say that you have an amazing looking con.

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt.
He's about 9-10 months old and 4.5 inches. He is still guarding his 2 month old fry and keeps my 8" and 6" pair of Nics at bay. No fear in him whatsoever; he attacks my hand, algae scraper, net, or anything else that comes into the tank. Unfortunately he also turned his aggression on his mate so she's living in the safety of a floating hospital right now. Here's a couple more shots of him.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:p Thanks.

So I'm guessing that nobody has any opinions on the odd tail growths?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have seen it in pictures of other fish as well, I just don't have an explanation. If I were to wager a guess it's probably just like a long fin gene, where your fish has ragged tail fin genes. IMO it looks super cool.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My male pink con had that a well, but I have no explanation for it as well lol
Great looking con!

·
Registered
977 Posts
pic above was recent...

this is from Feb 2011

a month difference. Can't be sure if his tail is growing or the tips are getting bitten off....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great looking con, Riceburner. Any idea if the ragged tail thing is specific to convicts or if other cichlids get it too?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Awesome cons duds and Riceburner! How fast is a cons growth rate? Years ago, I received a con and Dempsey- both were juveniles. But the Dempsey quickly outgrew the con.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Elijah said:
How fast is a cons growth rate?
In the pics in my first post you can see 2-3 month old juvies in the background who are an inch at most, the con in the foreground is 10 months and about 4.5" including tail... so, growth is pretty quick in the early stages. As is apparent from Riceburner's post, males grow much quicker and reach a bigger size than females.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.