Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 that I am looking to replace Bulbs in fixtures and want to see what people use in a fish only tank. I have no plants in the tank only rock work.

My stock list is quite simple:
08 - Labidochromis caeruleus(Yellow Labs)
10 - Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)(Yellow Tail Acei)

I have 1 - 48" double bulb striplight on tank and I am not looking to replace fixture at this time :)

1. What bulbs does anybody recommend to bring out the colors of these fish. I would also like it to look as natural as possible.

2. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am setting up a new 65 and have done a lot of research on bulbs. I settled on the AllGlass which is a 8000K with a pretty wide color spectrum.

I have read that a lot of poeple like the PowerGlo and based on the light spectrum would bring out the yellow and darker blues of both fish.

Ultimately you may just have to test a couple of bulbs. Some people also put different types in the same fixture if you have a double bulb fixture. You could do 1 general spectrum bulb such as the AllGlass and 1 specific spectrum such as the PowerGlo to keep it natural and also bring out color in fish.

·
Registered
678 Posts
6500K most closely matches the color spectrum of the sun, if that's what you are after Phillips Natural Sunshine bulbs are pretty nice and relatively inexpensive. Really it's up to you to decide. Usually pet shops have a couple different bulbs on their tanks, decide which color you like the best then ask the shop employees what bulb is on the tank you like so you can buy the same one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.