Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Me and a friend picked up 2 EBJD's yesterday, they are probably .5". I'd say no more than 2 to 4 weeks old. I offered to house my friends EBJD since his tank has 4-8" fish.

Anyway, stock listing is 2 jack dempseys, a green terror, and a jaguar in a 100 gallon tank with plenty of filtration. None of these fish are bigger than 2" - the jaguar and the terror are probably 1". I honestly thought the tank size would allow the EBJD's to hide, but they grew wings, nuts, and jumped into the action.

Well, 2 hours after being put in the tank, one of them has a missing back fin, and the others back fin is split - and missing the other half.

I immediately scooped 'em up, put 'em in a small hospital clip on tank I have. I went to walmart, got a 10 gallon tank, set it up w/ a heater, air stone, filter, rocks, and put in some herbal medicine I bought at Walmart for the fish to "heal". I dosed 'em last night ,it says to do it once nightly for a week.

my question: Are there any othetr tricks I can to speed up the healing? Have you ever seen a fish grow back its entire tail? Iv'e seen them miss 1/2, or 3/4" of it - but never the whole tail. :?

The fish are very shy now, they are hiding in that tank - and ****, I don't blame 'em. I should have known better to put them in my 100 gallon. It will take at least a week to heal I'd imagine and 4-6 weeks of making them fat w/ bloodworms to get them in the shape they'd need to be in to join the rest of the boys. They are currently hiding under big rocks, side ways, however they can fit in there. I left them 8-10 flakes of supercolor before I left for work this am.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi pgreptom,

Make sure to use some seeded bio media from yours or your friends tank in the new filter on the 10 gallon so it will cycle quickly.

To help them heal make sure to keep up on water changes and add aquarium salt per instructions (i think it is a tablespoon per 5 gallons).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry to hear about your EBJD's. Hope they heal up well. I once tried to add some swordtails into my 135 gallon. My Jag was a baby at the time and only about 2-2-1/2" but she immediately attacked the male sword and had half of it sticking out her mouth. The sword was almost as big as she was. I had to quickly fish out the 2 female swords but the male sword didn't make it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I will continue using MELAFIX Fish First Aid. I went ahead and put another dose in for tonight.

The water I used came from big 100 gallon, so I know the water is properly treated and has the appropriate amount of salt.

I'll just keep hoping.

Good news! One of my EBJD's is swimming freely, and seems to be stress free. ..The other is hiding under a rock crooked, trying to hide. The other one is swimming freely at the bottom.. only a matter of time before it swims the tank. I hope the other one makes it.

The medicine I have says NOT to do a water change until the 7th day - what are your opinions on this? I definitely trust this board more than I trust a bottle from a manufacture.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The problem with your hospital tank is that it's probably not cycled so you're going to have to watch ammonia spikes. I would monitor the water very closely and even though the meds say don't change the water for 7 days, you need to worry about ammonia killing your EBJDs. I would probably do water change every other day if not every day to make sure the water stays clean.

I think clean water and aquarium salt will go along way to help them heal.

One word of warning though, EBJDs tend to be sensitive fish and there are lots of post of them dying suddenly or getting infections so monitor the fish as closely as possible to try and catch any possible issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are both doing well. Nightly water changes, taking water from my 90 gallon to the 10 gallon. I've yet to see them eat, but I'm sure they're eating the 2-3 flakes I add in hoping for them to eat. I just saw them swim for the first time today, so I'm sure at some point they will be hungry.

As a side note: The heater I had in the tank was broke. The water was at 71F - put a much larger heater in there and it's now a crispy 78. They are far more active, and I honestly think I no longer need to add medication.

http://i.imgur.com/aIRpN.jpg

Here's a picture of one of 'em. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. They are laying in an awkward area... plus my phone focused on the sand *shakes head*.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts