Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the basic principal of how Purigen works on the chemical filtration front, but I'm confused about how it polishes your water.

I recently bought a 100ml bag of Purigen and put it under the drain into my sump, but I'm fairly certain 95% of my water is going around it, rather than through it. This made me decide to build a Purigen reactor, but I've yet to hook it up. I'm wondering... will the Purigen (fluidized in the reactor) polish the water just as well if it's out of it's micron bag? Or is the bag necessary to get that crystal clear look that all the reviews talk about?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It'll work in the reactor, the bag isn't important. I wondered the same thing you're wondering in a thread recently. By removing dissolved organics, it may keep the infusoria count down which may actually be a major contributor or even the source of the haziness. That's my best guess anyway.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Of course this is assuming that it really does clear water. I've not tested this out myself, so just going by what others have reported.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping that's the case. This is my first use of Purigen, so we'll see how it goes. I'm going to keep the bag and maybe I can find some way to incorporate it if needed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well I have just put 2 100ml bags in one of my canister filter about a week ago. I had some pretty cloudy water, to the point where you could see each individual beam of light from my LED's. Now my water is substantially better and ALMOST clear when looking from end to end. Def not like the others have stated that in 12 hours the fish looked to be floating in mid air, but much better than before. I also had the same concerns about the water going around the bags but I clean my prefilter foam for the first time in that filter and the bead of purigen are already turning quite brown so they have to be absorbing something. I think sometime in the future I may order some more of it and try running one tray full of it and see if I can obtain these results.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have found that purigen works better in a canister than in a sump. And yes, it does polish the water. I have no idea how, but it makes the water super crispy, especially when it's fairly fresh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts