Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size should my yellow lab fry be before i let them out of the breeded box? there are about 23 of them inside the medium sized breeder box. i have them in their own 10 gallon tank and were born about 10 days ago when should i release them into the tank?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I usually wait about a week.
If they're free swimming in the breeder box, in their own tank, I don't see any need to wait. Same as if they'd been spit in the tank.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I never do the breeder net for Africans. I put the holding female in the ten and when I see she has released them I net her back to the main tank. I have wondered when I will have one try to eat the fry but with rocks for cover, they seem to know what is required to survive. The last group was a small female and I could only spot six which was a bit disappointing. After moving the female back and starting to feed, I found something like 15-20 came out of the rocks to eat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i should release them than? just make sure the filter is good? there is alot of them in that little box.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Mine only stay in the breeder box till I see them finding the food on there own fairly well, about a week like GTZ said. Then in the 10g they go. I have a piece of Aquaclear 50 prefilter sponge with a hole in it slipped over the intake on my HOB and havent had a problem yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they find the food thats for sure. I think i will let them out tonight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it bad to keep them in the breeder box for a long time? will it stunt their growth? is it better for them to be in the open.

this is my first time with fry well kinda second the first time i release the babies into the grass in my 90, didnt go to well haha.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are these fry from your previous stocking before the disaster?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
during the cotton mouth outbreak? yes 10 fish surived the breeding male and female lab were 2 of the 10 that surived and these are thir babies. why?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good to hear it wasnt a total loss then.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope i save a few. i did bring them back to the store though as i have learned alot about keeping certain fish together, i got new cichlid substrate for them 60$ credit. doing my fishless cycle and plan on keeping peacocks/haps i have a local breeder with 12 tanks stuffed to the max with them all very nice fish. looking foreward to proper stocking!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
:thumb: We all make mistakes, just learn from them and take the awesome advice given on this forum and you should be good to go.

Thinking my next large tank will be the peacock/hap setup also. So many great looking fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts