Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is normal for the egg sacs attached to fry to from a little white spot on the side of them? Seems that they all have it on the the right side of them, but they are still wiggling their little tails and stuff. All 20 of them have about the same size spot in about the same spot on the egg sac.

Any one else notice this?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have never really noticed but if they are alive and its exactly the same on all of them then I am sure its not an issue.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are moving enough to flip from side to side. Also when they do get lifted up in the water column they seem to be swimming for an inch or so then drop back down.

Here is video of them in the tumbler if you could take a look at it and see if you think there is enough movement.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... EO0009.mp4

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well..... I couldnt leave well enough alone. :oops: I drilled some small holes in the top and plugged the main, big hole the tubing went thru with some quilt batting so they would slip out that hole. Now they arent moving as much as they were before even I move the stone almost all the way to the bottom.

So I was thinking, do you think if I were to cut down the overall length of the tube that it would create more flow through the tube? I have the air as high as it can go and they are just barely bouncing in there so, gonna leave it for now so I dont end up loosing any but once they are in the breeder Im thinking of cutting the entire tube down a little and trying that. Does anyone think that it will decrease the flow rate through it or am I right in thinking that it will increase it?

Thanks in advance.

Just using these fry as a "practice run" more or less till my Demasoni Fry are ready to go in there so wanna get it all set for them.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Cutting the tube down should reduce the flow, as the air bubbles would have less time to accelerate the column of water. Finding a new stone that produced finer bubbles should increase the flow due to their increased area.

Is that driftwood just behind the tumber? I like it!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brinkles said:
Cutting the tube down should reduce the flow, as the air bubbles would have less time to accelerate the column of water. Finding a new stone that produced finer bubbles should increase the flow due to their increased area.

Is that driftwood just behind the tumber? I like it!
Yes it is that Mopani driftwood. Do you think that it would be ok to put one of them bubble discs directly under the tumbler to help move more water if needed? I have read that you should keep the fry out of the contact of the air bubbles to avoid contamination, and not so sure if that is true or not since it wasnt from a reliable source.

One of these?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I don't know about keeping fry out of the bubbles, but every tumbler I've seen keeps the fry out of the bubbles, and the mom doesn't pass air over them naturally.

I've built a pair of tumblers, but haven't used them yet. I'd just pick up a brand new air stone and try that, if you want more flow. They start to produce bigger bubbles as they get old.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:-? :-? :-? So I woke up today and went to feed the fish and when I look into my tumbler there is only 2 of the fry left in there!! So the only thing I can think of that happened is that they must have rode the stream of bubble up and out the little holes on the top of it. :eek: :eek:

It is a disappointment but at least it wasnt the fry that I really wanted to save. On a brighter note though I do have some more yellow labs, and a 20g breeder with an UGF coming for a grow out tank either tomorrow or Sat. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sometimes I think people over-complicate tumbling... Not knocking the use of a tumbler but I have on several occasions simply set up an empty 5g tank with a small heater & hob filter on it (flow turned down a bit perhaps) and placed the eggs on the bare bottom of the tank beneath the hob intake. (Of course if you don't happen to have the spare equipment lying around anyway then a tumbler is more economical than buying a 5g/hob/heater setup).

On the occasions I've done this the current generated by the hob has kept the eggs shifting positions every few seconds, and virtually all eggs have hatched (there was one occasion where I lost 2 out of 37 to fungus). I think the amount of movement needed is sometimes overestimated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts