Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I was wondering if anyone can clarify the definition of conspecific aggression - specifically for peacock cichlids.

I read that conspecific defines color and patterns.

For example - would that mean an Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red would not be openly aggressive to a Aulonocara baenschi if you house 2 males together? Would both males color up and not aggress against another due to different coloration/patterns?

I'm not entirely sure how fish look at the color spectrum. I can understand a Eureka Red fighting a German Red, but what about Blue Neons vs Benga's (both have yellow coloration)?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Conspecific means the same species.

Now that is a debatable question, how do cichlids see color? Color obviously plays a part. The fish have also evolved to live underwater (duh) and colors look different when you are in 20 or 50 or 80 feet of water.

What you are worried about is... does the male see the other male as competition for females? The same type of markings and color. A Jacobfreibergi is somewhat different from a so called German Red, so the actual red color may not be that important but where the red is on their body. The also are clearer as to being different species.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts