Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be getting a 6 foot tank for my birthday in may, im starting to think about stocking. i currently have a 3 foot tank with chaitika white calvus, multi's, 5 cyp. utinta's and a goby
can i add a different type of calvus or comp when they all go over to the 6 footer without risk of them crossbreading?
i was thinking of getting a few young frontosa's, do any of you have any other suggestions for new fish?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would like to know that too. I've seen people on this site do it. I have Congo black and would like a pair of Red comps.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
do any of you have any other suggestions for new fish
Small juli's like ornatus, transcriptus, etc.

I've not mixed alto's, but I"d bet the cross breeding risk would be high. I'll be interested to hear from others.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know there was something about this in one of the books I have, but I can't find it at the moment, some of my books are loaned out. I think it was said they can be mixed from an aggression standpoint (like dom male inkfin would not have a problem with dom male gold head comp) but I don't remember about crossbreeding

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have WC Congo black pearl calvus male and female (about 5" and 4") in with 7 young TB gold head comps (about 31/2" and 21/2").
With a few other fish.
Most of the fighting is between the comp males but nothing extreeme.
Not seen any cross species agression or interest in pairing up wrong.
Tank 48"x15"x15".
Any sine of hybridizing and they will get separated.
Not seen any sine of em doing this though.
Mine is prob not a long term set up, just see how it goes.
I guess that the comps will in the long term get bigger and more agressive.
6 footer you should be fine with young guys I think. :thumb:
Maybe even long term with big guys. Interested to see what others have found.
Fronts may get too big for these guys. Seen folk keep em togther for a long time but also seen photos of Altolamps bitten in half by big fronts. fronts growth rate although slow is pretty fast in comparison to Altolamps (Reeeel slowww :wink: ) so if you do mix em to get the longest period before the fronts become a problem, get small fronts and way big Altolamps. :)

All the best James

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks james i plan on getting a group of about 10 2-3" mpimbwe fronts and sell off the males over the next few years till im left with all females and then buy a really nice show quality male as the stud of the colony

·
Registered
147 Posts
i was always under the impression from reading that as long as colors are different enough, they dont cross breed. i wouldnt mix black or white calvus or comps with eachother in any combo, or yellow comps and calvus, but *** seen red comps, yellow comps, and black calvus together in a 90 gallon show tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Just because people mix them does not mean they are not crossbreeding...maybe they just don't save fry. I've seen it both ways in posts...some swear they don't crossbreed and others say they would not combine them if they were saving fry.

I would not combine them if I was saving fry because how would you know for sure they did not crossbreed? Also I cannot keep more than one alto male in my tanks (even 72") due to aggression.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yep I would not save any fry from a mixed tank. Just not worth the hybrid risk no matter how small or large. Major task raising Altolamps from fry and I would want to be 100% sure they are all wanted fish, pure in species and variant.

All the best James

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
il probably just stick with my white calvus then and add some mpimbwe fronts and julies, maybe a tanganyikan banded eel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Read the post below about the eels. They will get out of the tank, almost guaranteed. And I believe one of the common species I wad told get up to 30 inches and would happily make a meal out of smaller cichlids.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I kept some black pectoral calvus, and Gold Headed comps together for a few months. The Black Pectoral male was a big male, closing on 6"... the first time the female comp got ready to spawn... it was the calvus male that did the spawning with her. This was a 6ft flat 125 gallon. They got split up shortly after that.

Regarding the frontosa, not a fish I would recommend adding. Keep in mind they can easily grow to over 12" and are a predator in the wild. Raising the fish together will not make them friends, and the number one source of diet in the wild are Cyprichromis. An adult male frontosa could easily eat anything under 6", should it choose to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tbh id be more worried about the fronts munching on the eel once they reached adulthood than the eel eating fry, i use separate growout tanks for fry anyways

i realize its not a long term setup but im going to be getting the fronts small and growing them out, once the fronts are large i can either rehome the other fish or setup another community tank for them (what i want, just need to convince the wife after we move :) )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts