Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, just wanted to get some second opinion, I'm picking up this 6 ft x 2 ft wide x 1 ft tall. No center brace. It seems like it is made out of 1/2" glass. Do you guys think this will be ok? tank is brand new. I did some research about this and there are mix opinions. I will definately also ask the seller which company made the tank. thank you for the help

·
Registered
625 Posts
Was it made that way? If it was then, no problem. I have a 55 that has a broken brace and doesn't have a center brace and there's no sign of bowing, but it's in the garage and no harm done if it falls apart (still cycling so you know I'm not callous towards fish life).

I would just be nervous adding 70 more gallons of force to a "broken" tank if the brace is supposed to be there, especially if you plan on keeping it in a living room or other place that you would hate to experience water damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank was made without a brace. Still new and wrapped in saran wrap. I wasnt sure if there is a specific glass thickness to safely have a brace less 6 ft tank. Im guess this should be ok since its only 13" tall but some expert opinion will help me sleep better at night when i get the tank :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but if it's brand new and still wrapped you're good to go. I don't think the company would put into production a tank designed to fail, if it did, it would most likely be a defect.

Congrats on the new tank!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
With the shorter height, the brace is needed much less. The taller the "stack" of water the more the pressure in all directions. Enjoy!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
6 X 2 X 1 is an awesome footprint for mbuna...

Makes for easy catching when necessary...

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
It's also ideal for some reptiles, is this a tank to hold water? or reptiles?
He said it is 1/2" glass so I think it could be used for both.. My 180 is 1/2" glass & it is a foot taller.

My 180 has two dividers at the top for support.. His doesn't have any but only a foot tall...

The height (or lack thereof) is the key to how much support is needed...

·
Registered
299 Posts
bigd00d00 said:
hello, just wanted to get some second opinion, I'm picking up this 6 ft x 2 ft wide x 1 ft tall. No center brace. It seems like it is made out of 1/2" glass. Do you guys think this will be ok? tank is brand new. I did some research about this and there are mix opinions. I will definately also ask the seller which company made the tank. thank you for the help
He said it seems like, I'd make sure it was 1/2" glass before I filled it with water. Just a thought.....

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
He said it seems like, I'd make sure it was 1/2" glass before I filled it with water. Just a thought.....
Ok.. Missed that.

Yeah, for certain verify 1/2 glass prior to putting water in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked out the tank. It is1/2" thick. It was actually a eurobraced tank top and bottom (the bottom have glass strips all around the tank like where the silicone is) is it common to have the top and bottom or the tank braced? Guy wanted $225 for it

·
Registered
656 Posts
If the bottom is eurobraced, You will be fine. It was probably built as a "frag tank" for growing out pieces of coral, but there's no reason you can't use it as a fish tank. The size, and footprint is ideal for african cichlids.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
The size, and footprint is ideal for african cichlids
No joke! I wouldn't mind having 2-3 of them myself...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts